President Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino stands by embattled Justice Secretary Leila De Lima amid cautions of disbarment from the Webb family.
The Webb family is outraged over De Lima’s statement that Hubert Webb, a principal suspect in the Vizconde massacre, was in the country at the time of the crime.
Webb’s defense alibi was he was in the U.S. on June 30, 1991 when Estrellita, Carmela and Jennifer Vizconde were brutally murdered.
The Supreme Court has acquitted Webb and his co-accused December last year, 15 years after their incarceration.
When asked if De Lima still has his support, Aquino said: “Yes.”
“What is her function—to serve the ends of justice. And that is where the evidence pointed according to her,” Aquino told reporters in an ambush interview.
Aquino said the Webb family could however file charges if they deem necessary.
“Democracy in place, we are supposed to be governed by the rules of law. If the aggrieved party thinks that there is basis, then they can file appropriate charges in appropriate fora,” said Aquino.
De Lima had said a government task force has new witnesses swearing of Webb’s presence in the Philippines.
Related story: NBI: Hubert Webb in PHL during Vizconde massacre
Meanwhile, Aquino said he is very satisfied with most of his Cabinet appointees.
“For the most part, I am very, very satisfied with a lot of them. A lot of them have been really been self motivating, self actualizing. May yabang na ako,” said Aquino, who recently admitted having three appointees who have been giving him headaches.
Related: Palace downplays PNoy’s Cabinet ‘headaches’
Interpol has identified second passenger who used stolen passport to board MH370. He is also an Iranian, named Delavar Syed Mohammad Reza, born on 21 Sept 1984. …