Jessica Sanchez, a Filipino-Mexican finalist on "American Idol," topped Yahoo! Philippines' trending searches for February 20 to 26, 2012.
1. Jessica Sanchez. The "American Idol" contestant caught the Filipino netizen's interest because of her powerful singing and her Fil-Am looks. It turns out Sanchez is the daughter of a Filipina mother and Mexican father. She will likely continue to be a popular search topic as she has just advanced to the top 13 of the competition.
2. Ian Batherson. "Starstruck" Season 5 finalist and former "Survivor Philippines" castaway Ian Batherson participated in Yahoo! OMG's first-ever interactive dating event during Valentine month. Batherson and actress Bela Padilla chatted online with the "Date a Celebrity" finalists, from which they chose their respective dates.
3. John Prats. The Kapamilya actor recently admitted that he and his former "Happy Yipee Yehey" co-host Bianca Manalo are officially a couple. They have been silent about the real status of their relationship until Prat's February 12 interview with ABS-CBN's "The Buzz."
4. Jake Vargas. The Kapuso actor plays Bea Binene's love interest in the TV series, "Alice Bungisngis and her Wonder Walis." While he is happy that his career is going well, the teenage heartthrob still mourns for his mother, who succumbed to colon cancer in November last year.
5. Pedro Calungsod. The Philippines will have its second Catholic saint this year after Saint Lorenzo Ruiz, who was canonized in 1987. Pope Benedict XVI on February 18 named Blessed Pedro Calungsod as among the seven who will be officially recognized as saints on October 21 in ceremonies at Vatican City. Calungsod was a 17-year-old catechist martyred in Guam in 1672 with a Spanish Jesuit priest.
6. EDSA Revolution. President Noynoy Aquino on Feb. 25 led the nation in commemorating the 26th anniversary of EDSA People Power revolution—a peaceful uprising that ousted the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos and propelled Noynoy's mother, Corazon, to the presidency. Malacañang declared Feb. 25 a special school holiday.
7. Marjorie Kwan. As Davaoeños called for justice, Yahoo! users searched for more information on Marjorie Kwan, a 23-year-old Filipino-Chinese nurse who was robbed and then shot to death by two men riding tandem on a motorcycle on Feb. 18. A few days after the killing, authorities arrested, charged and jailed a certain Carlo Millado, one of the suspects.
8. February 27. What so special about the date? Well, it was the first Monday following the anniversary of the EDSA Revolution. Netizens were probably hoping that Feb. 27 would be a non-working holiday because the anniversary on Feb. 25 fell on a Saturday. However, Feb.27 remained a regular work day.
9. Alden Richards. Kapuso actor and Yahoo! OMG's Amazing Male Newcomer awardee Alden Richards is thankful for the blessings that he's been receiving this year. He is in the cast of GMA-7's primetime soap opera "My Beloved" and, pending his visa, he is set to fly to the U.S. to attend the May 9 premiere of the local horror movie, "The Road," in Los Angeles, California. He was also named the new celebrity endorser of the clothing brand Folded and Hung.
10. Jeremy Renner. The "Bourne Legacy" lead actor has left the country for the United States after more than a month of filming in Manila and Palawan. On Feb. 22, Renner made a courtesy call to President Aquino in Malacañang wearing a barong over cargo pants.
Check out the previous Yahoo! Search Trends article, "Comebacking young actresses trend on Yahoo! Search."