QUEZON CITY, Philippines - A 13-year-old boy was picked up by village watchmen here on Sunday after he allegedly killed with one punch an older boy who had been bullying him, police said yesterday.
Related story: There's a bully in you and me
Inspector Elmer Monsalve, chief of the homicide investigation section of the Quezon City Police District (QCPD), said "Arnie" (not his real name) was questioned over the death of 14-year-old David hours after the two of them figured in a fight.
Investigators learned from witnesses that Arnie was being picked on by the older boy until he got fed up and struck back by delivering a strong blow on David's back.
In other news: 54 killed in Sulu fighting
The fight between the two out-of-school youth broke out around 3:30 p.m. on Sunday at a compound on Visayas Avenue-Extension in Barangay Pasong Tamo, Q.C., said Monsalve.
Later that afternoon, David started vomiting at home prompting his parents to take him to the Bernardino General Hospital. It was there where David died.
Also read: Grace Poe biopic 'a breach of delicadeza'
In the evening, barangay public safety officers (BPSOs) took Arnie to police stationed at Camp Karingal to give his statement to probers.
On Monday, it was learned that Arnie had been turned over to the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) on account of his being a minor.
The Philippines is to upgrade a navy base facing disputed South China Sea waters to serve the extra ships being acquired to protect its territory, the military said Thursday. Navy spokesman Lieutenant-Commander Gregory Fabic said the military would build a 500-million-peso ($11.2 million) port at Ulugan Bay, the Philippine military base nearest to the Spratly Islands. President Benigno Aquino is set to visit the base on May 20 to launch the upgrading, Fabic added. In recent years, the …