THE regional office of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said on Tuesday that Cagayan de Oro City might not be safe from earthquakes even if there has been no active fault line yet observed in the city.
Phivolcs Regional Director Marcial Labininay said the earthquake generator in the city and in Misamis Oriental has not yet moved.
“Although we have active fault lines in Northern Mindanao, the earthquake generator in Cagayan de Oro has not yet moved,” he said.
A magnitude 7.6 earthquake rocked Eastern Samar, which was felt in Cagayan de Oro at intensity 4, killing a woman and injuring her grandson, on August 31.
After the tremor, Phivolcs recorded more than 700 earthquakes and aftershocks, particularly in Bukidnon province.
Labininay said the tremors were tectonic in origin and were traced from the fault in Cabanglasan, Bukidnon.
Phivolcs has recorded at least seven earthquakes last week, three of which were strong quakes felt in different parts of Northern Mindanao and Cotabato province.