The number of holiday-related fireworks injuries has shot up to 44 as of Christmas Eve, the Department of Health said Tuesday.
National Epidemiology Center head Enrique Tayag noted the 44 incidents was one more than those recorded in the same period in 2011.
"Fireworks injuries climb(ed) to 44 as of Dec. 24, 2012 compared to 43 last year. Metro Manila leads all regions with 14 injuries," Tayag said on his Twitter account.
Related News: Cops start tight watch on banned fireworks
Tayag said the most recent cases included one of a 22-year-old male from Compostela Valley who lost his left thumb, index and middle fingers.
He said the man, who he did not name, had just picked up a Super Lolo.
Earlier firecracker-related injuries had included a boy who was injured in the eye after using a boga, a cannon made from PVC pipes.
Other News: PNoy spends Christmas with family, watches sister Kris' MMFF flick
The government has been trying to discourage Filipinos from using firecrackers to celebrate Christmas and welcome the New Year, by suggesting alternate activities such as dancing to the hit "Gangnam Style."
Also, the Philippine National Police has called on barangay officials to designate firecracker zones in their respective areas to lessen firecracker-related injuries during the New Year revelry. — RSJ, GMA News
Other News: Tropical Storm Quinta threatens 15 areas in the Visayas and Mindanao
The Philippines is to upgrade a navy base facing disputed South China Sea waters to serve the extra ships being acquired to protect its territory, the military said Thursday. Navy spokesman Lieutenant-Commander Gregory Fabic said the military would build a 500-million-peso ($11.2 million) port at Ulugan Bay, the Philippine military base nearest to the Spratly Islands. President Benigno Aquino is set to visit the base on May 20 to launch the upgrading, Fabic added. In recent years, the …