It was in Malacanang that businesswoman Janet Lim Napoles sought refuge, not in the Roman Catholic Church.
Napoles, who is at the center of the P10-billion pork barrel scam late Wednesday surrendered to President Benigno Aquino III.
This, after rumors swirled that Napoles had intended to surrender before Manila Archbishop Antonio Cardinal Tagle, and has in fact sent “feelers.”
Tagle’s office had earlier denied the rumors, saying that the head of the Church in the Philippines did not receive any letter or speak with Napoles’ camp.
“No letter,” Tagle’s communications officer Peachy Yamsuan said. “The cardinal has not spoken with Janet Napoles or her lawyer Atty. (Lorna) Kapunan,” she added.
Reports of Napoles’ surrender to the Tagle had been sparked by a comment from running priest Robert Reyes, who said the Church can protect her.
“Ms. Napoles, be careful. They might kill you. Surrender to the Church…We will make sure that you survive,” reports quoted Reyes as saying.
“If you survive, you have to tell the truth for the sake of your people,” he added.
Malacanang has announced that Napoles submitted herself to Aquino at 9:37 p.m. Wednesday to face charges of serious illegal detention.
Napoles is wanted for allegedly holding against his will Benhur Luy, the whistleblower in the pork barrel scandal.
Aquino turned Napoles over to Interior Secretary Mar Roxas and Philippine National Police Director-General Alan Purisima.
Philippine President Benigno Aquino is to seek more aid when he meets with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe this week, more than a month after a monster typhoon killed thousands and left millions homeless. Aquino and Abe are expected to witness the signing of "exchanges of notes", including a post-disaster standby loan worth about 10 billion yen ($100 million), foreign office spokesman Raul Hernandez said Monday. "During the meeting the two leaders will discuss cooperation on disaster …