The Philippine Airlines (PAL) did not drop their domestic flights.
This is what PAL Chief Operating Officer Ramon Ang said in reaction to reports saying the flag-carrier has abandoned operations for most domestic flights in the Philippines since August 1.
“Philippine Airlines announced that it will not discontinue service to any domestic destination even as it continues to expand its code sharing agreement with affiliate PAL Express,” Ang said.
“The expanded code share will allow PAL to continue to expand its network and optimize its existing fleet and resources while giving customers more choices in terms of destinations, flights and schedules,” he added.
The PAL official clarified PAL will still continue to market flights to Laoag, Iloilo, Kalibo, Bacolod, Tagbiliran, and General Santos City even after transferring its flight operation to another airline.
Last week, PAL has “realigned the operation” for the said local destinations to low-cost carrier PAL Express, which belongs to PAL group of companies.
With this arrangement, Ang assured PAL Express passengers will continue to experience the "same standards of safety and customer service" they should expect from PAL.
“Even if it is being operated by PAL Express, PAL is still the marketing carrier for these flights,” Ang noted.
“This is being done to allow the flag carrier to service more routes and ensure seamless connectivity between stops while awaiting delivery of PAL’s new Airbus aircraft to complete its fleet,” he added.
In a report posted on Interaksyon.com, another PAL official disclosed the airline will shift its focus to long-haul flights to Europe.
The same official also added PAL has maintained operation over its flights to Cebu and Davao, which both offer connecting flights to international destinations.
Earlier, PAL received a go-signal to fly to Europe following the European Union’s lifting of air ban only for PAL.
PAL is still waiting for the completion of 64 long-range aircraft delivery amounting to US$7 billion, which help them to directly transport passengers from Manila to Paris, London, Rome, and Amsterdam, among others.
The delivery of both narrow and wide airbuses will continue this month until December.
Philippine President Benigno Aquino is to seek more aid when he meets with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe this week, more than a month after a monster typhoon killed thousands and left millions homeless. Aquino and Abe are expected to witness the signing of "exchanges of notes", including a post-disaster standby loan worth about 10 billion yen ($100 million), foreign office spokesman Raul Hernandez said Monday. "During the meeting the two leaders will discuss cooperation on disaster …