The number of gun ban violations related to the ongoing election period breached the 100 mark as of Monday, one week after the gun ban went into effect—but shooting incidents continued, with a Manila village councilor being among the latest victims.
Law enforcers were among the violators, even as at least two suspected violators had been killed in incidents related to the gun ban, radio dzBB's Sam Nielsen reported.
Analysis: Gun ban should go with crime prevention
Philippine National Police spokesman Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr. was quoted in the report as saying they will be stricter in implementing the gun ban in the coming weeks as the elections draw closer.
The report cited PNP figures indicating that of the 100 violators, 95 were civilians, four were government officials, while one was a member of the military.
It said two were killed in incidents related to the enforcement of the gun ban.
Related story: Aquino keeps gun despite outcry
Cerbo said the PNP will not stop implementing the ban, adding they expect the number of violations to go up as Election Day nears.
Under the election gun ban that started last Jan. 13 and lasts until June 12, only law enforcers on duty and in full uniform are allowed to carry firearms outside their homes.
During the election period, permits to carry firearms outside residence are suspended.
Manila village councilor shot
However, more shooting incidents were recorded during the run-up to the elections.
In other news: Candidates may bombard internet with ads if it's for free
On Monday night, dzBB's Rodil Vega reported a village councilor, initially identified as Alfred Elnido, 36, was shot by an unidentified gunman at Gate 17 in Area D of Parola Compound in Tondo.
Elnido was a kagawad (councilor) of Barangay 20, Zone 2, District 1 in Manila.
Investigation showed the victim was standing near Gate 17 when a man described as wearing a brown jacket and bull cap approached him and then shot him. —KG, GMA News
The Red Cross warned against aid dependency in the Philippines Tuesday as the United Nations urged donors to double their assistance to millions of victims of the country's deadliest-ever typhoon. The secretary general of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies Bekele Geleta said that, a month after Super Typhoon Haiyan devastated the islands, longer-term recovery needs should begin to take precedence over food aid. Haiyan swept across the central Philippines on …