A police officer with the Quezon City Police District chose the wrong time to ignore "wang-wangs" on Tuesday when a convoy he refused to let through turned out to be President Benigno Aquino III's.
Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda told reporters that the President's convoy was near the Batasan Pambansa when Senior Police Officer 2 Ricardo Pascua blocked the way. "The policeman was quite arrogant in insisting that he be allowed to do a U-turn whereas the convoy was already going straight," Lacierda said, adding he had been told that Pascua even showed his badge to the President's motorcycle escorts.
"It was an administrative decision by the Quezon City police department. What I know is that we are just going to file a report. I spoke to General Chito Dizon, head of the PSG, and they were just about to file a report, a formal report," he added.
According to SPO2 Randy Flores of Quezon City Police Station 4, Pascua has been relieved from duty for blocking the President's convoy.
Flores said Pascua is no longer with QC Police Station 4 and will have to report to Camp Major Gen. T. Karingal, QCPD headquarters, starting tomorrow. "Hindi maganda yung ginawa niya, lalo na't pulis siya," Flores, who said Pascua may face a charge of grave misconduct, added. He said Pascua could face other administrative charges.
According to reports, Pascua was in plain clothes and was off duty when the incident happened. "Kahit na, mali pa rin yun," Flores said.
Although relieved from duty, Pascua is still a member of the Philippine National Police but is considered on "floating" status.
QC Police Station 5, which has jurisdiction over the area where the incident happened, refused to give details, saying they did not know what happened either. They said they were observing radio silence at the time because the PSG was in charge.
Fourteen early winners in the party-list race have been named Friday even as the protracted count of votes continues.