The Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority (SBMA) said the waste water dumped in Subic Bay by a vessel of Malaysian shipping firm Glenn Defense Marine Philippines is not toxic.
The firm is contracted to service US Navy assets. A report on GMA News TV's News to Go quoted the SBMA as saying that there is no evidence that MV Glenn Guardian dumped toxic, oily or sewage waste in the area.
“It appears that the allegations in terms of the oily waste and the sewage were disposed off properly,” said SBMA chair Roberto Garcia, citing the results of a special board meeting.
On Monday, the SBMA also issued a separate statement on the matter.
Related post: Commentary: VFA does not allow PH to be made a dumpsite of US wastes
“For the information and safety of the public, contrary to what has been implied, there is no evidence that any toxic waste such as nuclear, chemical or similar hazardous waste has been discharged in the confines of Subic Bay,” the statement said.
“Neither is there evidence that oily wastes or sewage wastes have been dumped in our waters. Latest tests show that Subic Bay’s waters remain clean, safe, and continue to be within normal levels,” the statement continued. SBMA also stated that it will issue a formal report on the matter.
The Region III branch of the Environmental Management Bureau also supported SBMA’s statement, saying the MV Glenn Guardian’s waste was merely septage or domestic waste, and not toxic.
In other news: Parliamentary immunity may not save Sotto from plagiarism complaint
According to SBMA, the vessel dumped the waste 17 miles from the shore, which is farther than the 12-mile distance that the Marine Pollution International Regulation set.
Glenn Defense Marine Philippines meanwhile said it is ready to cooperate in any investigation.
“Our company has complied and is committed to comply without compromise, with internationally established laws and procedures to protect the environment,” said retired Vice Adm. Mateo Mayuga, chair and CEO of Glenn Defense Marine Asia. At least four senators are seeking an investigation into the matter, and even plan to revisit the RP-US Visiting Forces Agreement to prevent a similar incident. Even the US Navy had been reported as saying that it will conduct its own investigation into the allegation. — with Gian Geronimo/RSJ, GMA News
Also related: Three years after, justice remains elusive to Maguindanao massacre victims
Philippine President Benigno Aquino lauded democratic reforms in Myanmar as he signed several bilateral agreements with his visiting counterpart Thein Sein Thursday. Thein Sein arrived at Manila's presidential palace where he was accorded a red carpet welcome for his first visit to the Philippines. Aquino said the Philippines, which also made a transition from authoritarian rule to democracy in the 1980s, would be helping Myanmar in opening up its society. Formerly one of the most vocal …