A tiny teen with a big voice. A runner-up in one of the most watched shows on TV. And now, an endorser of many beloved Pinoy brands.
Yes, “American Idol” second placer Jessica Sanchez was the most searched name among Yahoo! users in the Philippines.
The 16-year old Filipino-Mexican-American music sensation lost to Phillip Phillips in the final round of the competition but went on to win the hearts of her countrymen, who logged on to Yahoo! to search for American Idol and stay updated on her progress on the weekly charts.
The interest in Jessica also spiked keyword searches for “american idol 2012 winner”, “american idol top 2”, american idol 2012 jessica sanchez” and “who won the american idol 2012,” making the reality TV singing competition the 5th most searched query on Yahoo!
Other top searches
Yahoo! Philipines annual Year in Review, which reflects the daily search habits of users and highlights the top stories and trends based on what millions of people searched for on the Yahoo! Network, placed NBA or the National Basketball Association as the second most searched in 2012. The NBA is a perennial topnotcher, landing in Yahoo!’s most searched list for three years in a row. Last year, it also placed second. In 2010, it landed in number 1.
Pop Princess Sarah Geronimo was the 3rd most searched person this year. Searches peaked ahead of her “24SG” concert on July 7 at the Araneta Coliseum when she celebrated her 24th birthday amidst screaming fans. The concert was a complete sell-out and Sarah did a repeat concert on July 21.
Anne Curtis, who clinched OMG! Celebrity of the Year Award in July this year, made it in 4th place. News about Anne making a debut in a Hollywood film Blood Ransom set to be released in 2013 and modeling Pinoy designer Francis Libiran's creations in America’s Next Top Model sent Filipinos searching for keywords including “anne curtis blood ransom”, “anne curtis in Hollywood” and “anne curtis antm”.
Among other searches included “anne curtis concert at araneta” ahead of her AnneBisyosa: No Other Concert - The World Tour and “anne curtis pictures in boracay” where Anne was caught on camera for her swimsuit malfunction.
Scandals drove searches
Other such scandals sent users to find out the latest reports on local stars.
Angelica Panganiban’s break up with her long time boyfriend Derek Ramsey made her the 6th most searched on Yahoo!
Marian Rivera’s cover photo in the April issue of Cosmopolitan magazine landed her in 7th place.
TV personality Grace Lee dating President Noynoy Aquino got her to the 8th spot.
And KC Concepcion’s smoldering cover photo in Rogue magazine and Bianca Gonzales’s topless magazine cover for Esquire Philippines landed them in the 9th and 10th positions respectively, in Yahoo! Philippines’ annual search results.
Top 10 search queries in the Philippines
1. Jessica Sanchez
3. Sarah Geronimo
4. Anne Curtis
5. American Idol
6. Angelica Panganiban
7. Marian Rivera
8. Grace Lee
9. KC Concepcion
10. Bianca Gonzalez
Top 10 search queries in the U.S.
3. Kim Kardashian
4. Kate Upton
5. Kate Middleton
6. Whitney Houston
8. Political Polls
9. Lindsay Lohan
10. Jennifer Lopez
Viral and trending topics for 2012
In addition, here are the topics that trended or went viral this year:
1. #Amalayer: Paula Jamie Salvosa, a 23-year-old student was caught on video berating a guard on Light Railway Transit. The video as well as the student’s Twitter handle went viral online.
2. Carabuena: Robert Carabuena, an employee of Philip Morris International physically assaulting a Metro Manila Development Authority officer was caught on video and subsequently went viral.
3. #Sinotto: Following the plagiarism accusations involving Reproductive Health bill critic Senator Vicente Sotto, netizens coined the term "Sinotto"; the hashtag posts became immediately popular with those poking fun translating famous English quotes to Tagalog or vice versa.
4. Claudine vs. Tulfo brothers: A brawl involving showbiz couple Raymart Santiago and Claudine Barreto and Inquirer columnist Ramon Tulfo at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport’s Terminal 3 became an Internet sensation.
5. Noemi Lagman: Missing girl was reunited with her family thanks to social media’s help.
6. Noynoying: Anti-government protesters in the Philippines found a new way to poke fun at President Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III. “Noynoying” which means doing nothing, was a protest against the President.
7. Anti-epal: Social media site that becamea venue for the public to share photos of public servants who've displayed their names or images in public places to advance their political careers.
8. "Hero dog" Kabang:Philippine hero dog Kabang saved two young girls from being run over by a motorbike but lost her snout and upper jaw by being hit by the front wheel of the motorbike.
9. Batangas: A Hollywood style signage in Taal Volcano of Batangas became the butt of online jokes.
10. Zendee Rose Tenerefe: The “random girl”on You Tube lands recording contract and invited to Ellen DeGeneres show.
In the world of hard news, the following kept Pinoys searching for more information about them:
1. Ronald Llamas. The prominent Filipino activist and the current political adviser of President Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III, was caught buying pirated DVD in January this year.
2. Iggy Arroyo. Late Negros Occidental Representative Ignacio Arroyo died due to liver ailment in London in February.
3. Renato Corona. Former Supreme Court Chief Justice was the first official to be impeached in May.
4. Gloria Macapagal Arroyo. Former President and the current Pampanga Representative’s arrest, hospitalization and failed attempts to seek medication abroad made her one of the top newsmakers of the year.
5. Jessie Robredo. The interior minister in President Aquino’s cabinet died in plane crash in August.
6. Senator Vicente “Tito” Sotto III was accused of plagiarism during Reproductive Health Bill Debates in September.
7. Senator Antonio Trillanes IV was accused of working for Beijing in the dispute between the Philippines and China over Panatag Shoal in the West Philippine Sea.
8. Supreme Court chief justice Maria Lourdes Sereno became one of the Top 10 newsmakers on Yahoo! for being the youngest appointed SC chief justice in September.
9. Peace panel chair Marvic Leonen. The chief negotiator signed the framework agreement with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front in October.
10. Juan Ponce Enrile. The senate president led the impeachment of the former Supreme Court Chief Justice Renato Corona.
Top travel searches
Destinations were also big in online searches. Here are the top 10.
1. Puerto Princesa Underground River was declared as one of the new 7 wonders
2. Manila became the new favorite travel destination on Tripadvisor
3. Cebu: new things to experience
4. Baguio: favorite summer destination
5. Tagaytay: Taal lake view
6. Potipot Island: the small island in Zambales was the most searched
7. Calaguas: virgin island
8. Camarines Sur: water sports destination
9. Boracay: party place
10. Siquijor: unlikely destination
You should also read: