1,074 Mandaue households set for clearing

THE Mandaue City Government is set to conduct clearing operations against 1,074 households in 11 barangays that are situated along the three-meter easement zone of the Butuanon River.

Of the 1,074 households, Mandaue City’s Housing and Urban Development Office (Hudo) said it will prioritize the removal of 127 households situated along Sitio Lub-ang in Barangay Casuntingan.

But Vincent Gay Aquino, Hudo designated project coordinator, told SunStar Cebu on Tuesday, Oct. 4, 2022, that he can’t say when they can start the clearing operations as they are still awaiting the results of further validation being conducted by barangay officials.

Aside from the 127 households in Sitio Lub-ang, also subject to clearing operations are Sitios Torel (50 households) and Tren-Tren (60) in Barangay Tingub; Sitios Paloma (43), Salvacion (4) and San Miguel (37) in Barangay Maguikay; Sitios Almers (97) and San Vicente Ferrer (4) in Barangay Tabok; Sitios Zone Monggos (63), Birhen Sa Regla (44), Zone Camansi, Carrots and Kang-Kong (62); and Mangrove Area (124) in Barangay Paknaan; and Sitios Pulang Bukid (72) and Li-ong (56) in Barangay Alang-Alang.

Sitio Lub-ang clearing ops

Aquino said they initially sent notices to vacate to the 127 houseowners in Sitio Lub-ang on Sept. 13 and were able to conduct their initial validation there before the end of September.

The validation being conducted by the barangay aims to help the City identify if the affected houseowners are entitled to the city’s cash aid. The city is set to give around P10,000 to P20,000 to households affected by its clearing operations, Aquino added.

Aquino said of the 127 houseowners living in the area, 109 are no longer living there and just renting their homes to other people.

Aquino said they are still discussing with city officials whether or not to give them cash assistance, emphasizing that they are already earning income within their properties.

He added that some house owners, particularly those affected by the installation line project of the National Grid Corp. of the Philippines along the Butuanon River, had already received cash aid from the agency, which makes them excluded from the City government’s cash assistance.

The 1,074 households are now subject to clearing after the City experienced massive flooding when the Butuanon River overflowed during a bout of heavy rain on Sept. 9.

On Sept. 14, Mandaue City Mayor Jonas Cortes tapped government agencies to help the City find solutions to the recent flooding within some of its areas, particularly along the Butuanon River.

Cortes said they would not allow informal settlers to return to the city’s three-meter easement zones once these are cleared.