1 dead, P576M lost in 2 Mandaue City fires

·2 min read

A 69-YEAR-OLD man was killed while P576 million worth of properties was lost during two separate fires that occurred in Barangays Jagobiao and Casuntingan in Mandaue City on Tuesday dawn, Sept. 13, 2022.

The fatality was identified as Bruno Estillore, who was reportedly bedridden when the fire hit a compound in Casuntingan.

According to the Mandaue City Fire Office (MCFO), its personnel responded to a fire that occurred in ML Quezon St. in Casuntingan around

3 a.m.

SFO1 Antonio Montajes, investigator, said the fire began at a single-storey house owned by Rogelio Mancao. The blaze then spread to a 22-room compound owned by Cecille Codoy.

Montajes said Estillore died due to smoke suffocation and severe burns.

Montajes said it took them more than 30 minutes before the fire was placed under control.

The fire left around P276,000 worth of damage.

Agnes Madrid, one of the fire victims, alleged that the fire was caused by a still unidentified person who reportedly suffered from a mental disorder.

Madrid said this was not the first time that the person attempted to cause a fire in the area.

But Montajes said he still need to verify Madrid’s claim as he is not yet done with the investigation.

Jagobiao fire

Three hours earlier, the MCFO personnel had responded to a fire that destroyed two houses in Alinsug St. in Jagobiao.

Montajes said the fire, which occurred at 12:22 a.m., razed two properties: a single-story house owned by Albert Biaño and a two-story house owned by Diosda Patindol.

He said the blaze destroyed around P300,000 worth of properties.

Montajes said the fire was eventually placed under control at 12:58 a.m.

Evacuated

The Mandaue City Social Services (CSWS) said that at least 35 families or 130 individuals were affected by the two fire incidents.

Camilo Basaca Jr., CSWS head, said most of the fire victims were renters, particularly in Casuntingan.

Basaca said only one family composed of four individuals was affected by the fire in Jagobiao. He said the family members are now staying with their relatives in Lapu-Lapu City.

Meanwhile, the victims of the Casuntingan fire are staying in a nearby elementary school as the barangay’s multipurpose gym is used as the evacuation site for those affected during last week’s flooding.

Basaca said they were already given post-disaster kits composed of towels, sarong, clothes, hygiene kits, sleeping tents, and food packs to the fire victims.