A TOTAL of 75 additional buses and modern public utility jeepneys (MPUJs) will be deployed on Monday, Sept. 7, 2020, to augment the existing number of public utility vehicles (PUVs) allowed to operate in Cebu, which is currently under modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) status.
Eduardo Montealto Jr., director of the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board 7, said majority of the additional units are buses.
He said the units will add to the existing 201 buses and MPUJs first issued with special permits to operate.
Montealto said 40 additional buses and MPUJs will be deployed next week. He said the units are already here and operators are preparing the needed documents for the issuance of special permits.
Montealto said most of the additional PUV units will ply an intra-city route while some will be allowed to cross borders such as routes from I.T. Park in Cebu City to Liloan in Cebu Province.
Previously, he said, these buses plied southern Cebu routes while some are provincial buses that were realigned while crossing of borders to other provinces is not yet allowed. (WBS)