A FAULTY electrical wiring was suspected to be the cause of the fire that destroyed 15 houses in Sitio Mahayahay in Barangay Calamba, Cebu City at 2:40 a.m. Friday, April 9, 2021.
Fire Officer 3 Emerson Arceo of the Cebu City Fire Office said the fire started in a two-story house owned by Angel Benuya and immediately spread to neighboring houses. Benuya’s house is made of mixed concrete and light materials.
Nobody is living in Benuya’s house for the past week, according to neighbors.
Arceo said they received the first alarm at 2:43 a.m., controlled the fire at 3:26 a.m., and fully put out the fire at 3:32 a.m.
To enter the inner part of the sitio where the fire happened, firefighters had to connect their hoses. With the knowledge acquired from the hose familiarization project of Cebu City, they were able to estimate the number of hoses to connect and the distance of the fire from the entrance of the sitio.
No casualties were reported. The damage was estimated at around P300,000. (REV/With NRC)