150 Mandaue families lost homes to fire

·2 min read

ABOUT 150 families were displaced by the fire that struck a residential area at the border of Barangays Pagsabungan and Tingub in Mandaue City on Saturday evening, Jan. 8, 2022.

John Eddu Ibañez, executive secretary of Mayor Jonas Cortes, said the affected families were temporarily housed at the elementary schools in the two barangays.

The families so far have been given sleeping kits and toiletries, while the City Social Welfare and Services (CSWS) has profiled the affected families that they may be given with starter kits.

Included in the starter kits would be housing materials such as pots, plates, glass, bucket, basin, rice, and canned goods.

Meanwhile, the City Health Office (CHO) conducted free medical checkup and consultations to the affected families, ensuring that they will be free from food or water borne diseases.

In a report sent by Chief Insp. Nelson Ababon, head of the Mandaue City Fire Station, more or less 150 houses or establishments were also burned by the fire that firefighters put out after an hour and 30 minutes.

While there was no reported injury nor casualty during the incident, Ababon said the fire left an estimated damage to properties amounting to P1,050,000.

Ababon said the fire was reported around 7:44 p.m. It was raised to first and second alarm at 7:51 p.m. and 8:28 p.m., respectively.

The firefighter put out the fire at 10:32 p.m. Saturday. As of this writing, the cause of fire is yet to be determined.

Bulacao fires

Past 7 p.m. Saturday, a fire razed a house owned by Benjie Quijano in Mighty Villa Subdivision in Barangay Bulacao, Cebu City.

FO3 Emerson Arceo said since Quijano’s household had power supply at the time of incident, his investigation is focused on the possibility that the fire’s cause was related to electricity.

Someone in the house reportedly saw an outlet that sparked, and the sofa nearby caught fire. The flames quickly spread in the house.

Firefighters put out the fire at 7:42 p.m. The damage to Quijano’s house was P108,000.

The blaze happened after three houses were damaged by fire in Sitio Lower San Roque, Bulacao past 9 a.m. Saturday.

On Sunday afternoon, Jan. 9, an abandoned house in Barangay Lahug, Cebu City was razed by fire.

The fire occurred inside Gemsville Subdivision. (KAL)

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting