1st Covid case recorded in brgy. Buot

·3 min read

BARANGAY Buot, a mountain barangay in Cebu City, which used to have no Covid-19 cases since the pandemic started, has been hit with the coronavirus.

Cebu City Councilor Joel Garganera, deputy chief implementer of the Emergency Operations Center (EOC), said one Covid-19 case has been recorded in Buot.

With the recorded case, this reduces the number of barangays which used to have no history of Covid-19 transmission since March 2020 to three.

The remaining barangays that have no history of Covid-19 transmission are Paril, Tabunan and Tagba-o.

As of Jan. 6, 2021, there were 39 barangays in Cebu City that had active Covid-19 cases, while 41 barangays had no reported Covid-19 cases for the past 14 days.

The number of active cases in the city is now back to above the 200-mark.

Since Dec. 29, 2020, Garganera said, Cebu City had been logging double-digit numbers of Covid-19 cases daily.

Garganera also said majority of the new cases Cebu City has logged are “fresh cases.”

Fresh cases, according to Garganera, are not close contacts of the previous Covid-19 cases.

Garganera said majority of the cases got the infection from private gatherings.

Citing the contact tracing conducted, there was one case who reportedly got the infection from attending the Misa de Gallo, while there are two other cases who got the infection from a regular mass.

The rest, according to Garganera, were from private gatherings.

He said there are 33 health care workers from five hospitals in the city who also tested positive for the virus.

To date, the total confirmed Covid-19 cases in the city has reached 10,965, of whom 10,071 have recovered and 691 have died.

Cebu City now has an 8.66 percent positivity rate out of the 126,525 individuals tested.

Of the active cases, 72 are staying at the Normal Oasis for Adaptation and a Home (Noah), two are at the IC3 Bayanihan Center, 41 are in public or government hospitals in the city, while the rest are in private isolation facilities and hotels.

Despite the increasing number of Covid-19 cases, Garganera said the situation is “under control.”

He also said the current situation in the city is expected due to the movements of the public in December 2020.

Meanwhile, the Cebu City Council has requested the City Government to evaluate the preparedness of the isolation centers in case there will be a spike in infections.

The Council also asked the City to extend support to the Mactan-Cebu International Airport, Bureau of Quarantine and Cebu Port Authority in terms of manpower and resources to strengthen the detection and isolation of inbound passengers in view of the threat of the new strain of the coronavirus.

The Council, through a resolution by Councilor Dave Tumulak, stated that there is a need for the City to prepare given that the new variant of the coronavirus is 70 percent more infectious than the old variant. (JJL)