2 bombers die in Kidapawan blast

KIDAPAWAN CITY -- Two bombers were killed when a bomb went off in front of the provincial office of the National Irrigation Administration (NIA) along Barangay Amas, this city past midnight Friday.

Prudencio Asto, public affairs chief of the Army's 6th Infantry Division, said the improvised explosive device (IED) exploded around 12:15 a.m.

Cotabato Provincial Police Office chief Cornelio Salinas identified the slain bombers as Manampan Dimalen, of Pagalungan, Maguindanao; and Kalim Indigay of Sitio Pagagao, Barangay Patadon this city.

Indigay admitted before he died that they were on a mission to set off the bomb at the Provincial Capitol.

Indigay at the Cotabato Provincial Hospital said he acted as Dimalen’s guide. He died of bomb shrapnel while Dimalen died on the spot when the bomb went off while still in his possession.

Asto said Dimalem and Indigay were probably feeling scared about carrying the bombs, citing initial results of the investigation.

Salinas said it was during the investigation conducted inside the hospital when Indigay admitted his participation in the blast and identified the bomb courier.

Indigay told the police they were paid considerable sum of money for doing it.

Investigators are still establishing the group affiliation of the two, Asto said.

A house owned by a certain Nonong Labog located in front of NIA office was also hit by shrapnel. No member of the Labog family was hurt.

For his part, Central Mindanao Police director Benjardi Mantele said Indigay told probers that he was asked by Manalim to serve as his guide in going to the city.

Citing an initial statement of Indigay, Mantele said the two were walking when the bacpack of Manalim exploded.

Kalim is said to be a member of the Moro National Liberaton Front Commander Usman Kautin. The MNLF signed a peace agreement with the government in 1996.

The bombing took place a day after the Philippine National Police in Soccsksargen conducted a bomb awareness seminar at Amas Capitol Complex.

The explosion was the second that hit Kidapawan City since June and the fourth explosion in Central Mindanao.

On June 27, a powerful IED fashioned from a 60-mm mortar exploded in front of the provincial office of the Commission on Audit (COA). None was hurt during the explosion.

Two explosions took place in Cotabato City that killed a photographer and injured more than 10 others. (With Sunnex)

Juna raid still cannot be called 'human trafficking'

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • Biker Beauty: Honda and David's Salon Pampering Day
    Biker Beauty: Honda and David's Salon Pampering Day

    Honda Philippines Inc. (HPI), and David's Salon recently held the awarding ceremony for the Metro Manila winner of the David's Salon Scooter Raffle Promo at the 5th level of SM Megamall Building A. Loyal patron Maria Theresa Guevara took home a brand new Honda Click 125i. Present to grace the occasion were David's Salon Creative Director Laura Charlton and HPI Assistant Vice-President for Sales and Marketing Hideo Nishinaga.To the delight of all those in attendance, guests were treated to …

  • ‘Next leader must not be newbie’
    ‘Next leader must not be newbie’

    Vice President Jejomar Binay believes the next president of the Philippines must have vast experience and a long track record in governance and in dealing with crises. “I am very much convinced that the local government is the best training ground for those who want to run for national government positions,” he said. Binay said he is determined to run for president in 2016 on the strength of his competence and track record. …

  • Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning
    Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning

    A suspect in the Maguindanao massacre case who had been examined at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) tested negative for poisoning, medical records released yesterday showed. However, the Quezon City court handling the multiple murder case resolved to isolate Police Officer 1 Pia Kamidon from the rest of the accused detained at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig for his safety. In a two-page order, Regional Trial Court Branch 221 assisting Judge Genie Gapas-Agbada ordered jail officials to …

  • ‘Homework first before Facebook’
    ‘Homework first before Facebook’

    President Aquino elicited laughter from students here as he reminded them to open books first before Facebook. “Finish your assignments first before making a raid in the Clash of Clans,” Aquino said, referring to a popular online game. In a speech during the turnover yesterday of two new three-story buildings at the Tarlac National High School, he said the government could only provide opportunities for learning but the rest of the work would be up to the students. The new school buildings …

  • Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement
    Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement

    President Aquino ended speculations yesterday and confirmed that Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina had indeed resigned as officer-in-charge of the Philippine National Police. As of this time, we are conducting various interviews and checks on the various candidates,” Aquino told reporters at the Tarlac National High School in Tarlac City. Aquino had kind words for Espina, saying that he stood by and defended the 44 slain police Special Action Force (SAF) commandos in the operation in …

  • Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation
    Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation

    President Aquino welcomed yesterday the Group of Seven industrialized countries’ expression of concern over rising tension in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, calling it a clear indication of the global scope of the problem ramped up by China’s massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. In Tarlac City where he led the turnover of new classrooms, Aquino told reporters that goodwill and not tension must prevail in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, where territorial …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options