2 construction workers die after falling from 19th floor

·1 min read

TWO men fell to their deaths after the cable of a suspended working platform they were on snapped in a resort that is still under construction at the South Road Properties in Cebu City on Tuesday, Sept. 21, 2021.

The fatalities were identified as Junnel Tunda-an, 28, and Richard Dabasol Jr., 39.

The Cebu City Office of the Building Official (OBO) has issued a cease and desist order (CDO) to the contractor of NUSTAR Resort and Casino following the deaths of the two construction workers.

This was revealed by City Councilor Dave Tumulak, who visited the site along with OBO head Florante Catalan.

Before the incident, Tunda-an and Dabasol had been on a suspended working platform, also known as gondola, on the 19th floor of the building, which is part of the soon-to-open resort complex.

The gondola later snapped, hurtling Tunda-an and Dabasol to the ground floor.

Tumulak said the Cebu City Government, through OBO, has suspended the construction work pending the result of the investigation.

The contractor was ordered to submit an incident report to OBO and explain why the gondola crashed from the 19th floor to the ground floor.

Tumulak said based on OBO’s records, the contractor has a permit to install the gondola. But the contractor has no permit to operate the gondola. (GPL, PAC / KAL)

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting