2 men killed in separate shootings in Cebu City

·2 min read

TWO men were gunned down in separate incidents within a seven-hour period in Cebu City.

The Labangon Police Station responded to a shooting alarm in Sitio Kalumboyan in Barangay Buhisan around 10:45 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 27, 2022.

SSgt. Jeray Villahermosa identified the victim as 42-year-old Robeto Tampus.

According to initial investigation, the victim was shot four times a few meters from his house.

“Neighbors didn’t go outside until after they heard the gunshots because they were afraid. When they got out, they saw four men on two motorcycles flee the scene,” Villahermosa said in Cebuano.

He said Tampus, who had been arrested for his alleged involvement in illegal gambling, was recently invited for questioning by the Labangon police.

The Labangon Police Station said the victim was also a notorious thief.

Tampus was shot twice in the upper back and twice in the neck with a .45 pistol.

Past 6 a.m. on Sunday, Aug. 28, the Mabolo Police Station received a call that a body of a dead man was found near the chapel inside the Ludo Memorial Park in Barangay Carreta.

SSgt. Lloyd Magdadaro identified the victim as Paulo Bacaresas, who is believed to be in his late 30s, and a resident of Sitio Ponce in the barangay.

When police arrived at the scene, they saw ants crawling on the victim’s body.

According to Magdadaro, tanods heard a single bang but ignored it since they heard many similar sounds in the course of the night during their rounds.

He said the victim had left his house after a quarrel with a relative.

He said Bacaresas had tried to run from his shooter based on the position of his slippers on the ground.

Police are looking at a personal angle as a possible motive for the shooting, but they are not discounting the possibility that Bacaresas was mistaken for a police asset.