Dozens hurt in powerful Prague gas blast

A powerful gas blast ripped through a four-storey building in Prague's historic centre on Monday, injuring 43 people including foreigners, and causing panic in the Czech capital.

Rescuers had feared there could be bodies trapped under the rubble of the heavily damaged office block, but the city's mayor said nobody was believed to have been killed.

The force of the explosion damaged parked cars and two adjacent university buildings, blew out windows in nearby streets, and shook apartment blocks across the Vltava river.

"It was a gas blast, not a terror attack," Prague mayor Bohuslav Svoboda told reporters.

He added that "they haven't found anyone (in the rubble)... and nobody is reported missing".

"It was a terrible blast, everyone was awfully scared," a woman working at the adjacent journalism faculty of Prague's Charles University told AFP, declining to give her name.

"Everyone was running, the blast toppled the bookshelves in the library. In one classroom there were lots of injured students, the librarians had blood on their T-shirts," she added.

"At one department the blast wave broke a window on one side and warped the door on the other so people couldn't get out and had to kick the door open."

Forty-three people were injured, including two Kazakhs, two Portuguese, one German and one Slovak, said Zdenek Schwarz, head of Prague emergency services.

Police sealed off the popular tourist area and evacuated 230 people from nearby buildings, fearing further gas leaks, Prague police spokesman Tomas Hulan said, adding that several hundred officers were called into action after the explosion.

An AFP photographer at the scene saw dozens of people with cuts from shattered glass from windows along the debris-strewn Divadelni Street.

Injured victims were treated on the spot for cuts, some with blood streaming down their faces and bandages on their heads and many of them in shock.

Jan Hora, a structural engineer, told Czech TV the damaged building -- a former block of flats now used as office space -- had to be supported with poles but would probably not collapse.

The force of the blast shifted the wall of the building by about five centimetres (two inches) and Hora said it likely occurred on the ground floor, where the ceiling was destroyed.

"The initial gross estimate of the damage (to the building) is 10 million koruna (390,000 euros, $510,000)," Jiri Civka, spokesman for the Generali insurer, told the CTK news agency, adding that it would rise if the building gets torn down.

The area's architecture mostly dates to the 19th century and includes the ornate National Theatre, whose modern section was damaged by the blast.

Prime Minister Petr Necas said in a statement he was "deeply affected by the tragedy" in the capital, which welcomed more than 5.4 million tourists last year.

An unnamed student told Czech TV that students and teachers from nearby universities panicked and ran out when the blast shook their buildings, fearing a terrorist attack.

"Blast in Divadelni (street), many injured. Windows broken at journalism faculty," Milos Cermak, a journalist lecturing at one of the universities, wrote on Twitter.

"Police say gas still leaking. Helicopter above us. Classes cancelled for rest of week."

Vitek Novak, a journalism student, said he saw several students cut by glass.

"We were sitting at school and then we heard a tremendous blast, all the windows broke. I was lucky to sit farther from the window," he told the DNES newspaper.

In a similar incident in France on Sunday, three people died and 14 were injured in the city of Reims when an apartment block collapsed after a suspected gas explosion.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Indonesia's Jokowi to speak to attorney general about Philippines death row convict

    Indonesia President Joko Widodo will consult with the attorney general on legal issues surrounding the case of death row convict Mary Jane Veloso, the Philippines presidential spokesman said on Monday. The statement came after the Philippines President Benigno Aquino met Widodo at the ASEAN summit in Kuala Lumpur and appealed for "humanitarian consideration" in the case. Widodo was sympathetic and was consulting with the Indonesian attorney general on the legal issues, he said. …

  • Halt Indonesia drug executions until graft claims probed: Australia
    Halt Indonesia drug executions until graft claims probed: Australia

    Australia on Monday urged Indonesia to ensure all legal processes have been cleared of corruption before executing two of its nationals, as bribery allegations surfaced regarding their drug smuggling trial. Foreign Minister Julie Bishop spoke to her Indonesian counterpart Retno Marsudi on Sunday evening while Prime Minister Tony Abbott has written to President Joko Widodo to again plead for the executions to be halted. "Bali Nine" drug traffickers Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan could face …

  • Pagasa: Drought may worsen
    Pagasa: Drought may worsen

    The drought in 12 already dry areas in the country is expected to worsen as the summer season peaks next month, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. In an advisory, PAGASA said the provinces of Albay, Bataan, Batangas, Biliran, Cavite, Cebu, Ilocos Norte, Leyte, Misamis Occidental, Pampanga, Zamboanga del Norte and Zamboanga del Sur will continue to receive “way below” or “below normal” rainfall in May. PAGASA defines …

  • Maximum restraint for Phl troops in West Phl Sea
    Maximum restraint for Phl troops in West Phl Sea

    The military has advised its pilots conducting surveillance in the West Philippine Sea to exercise maximum restraint even if they are being bullied by Chinese troops. Armed Forces spokesman Brig. Gen. Joselito Kakilala said all actions of the pilots should be consistent with the declaration of conduct signed by claimant countries. Armed Forces public affairs chief Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc said the Philippines should remain on moral high ground when it comes to the territorial dispute. A …

  • MMDA simulates rescue march after quake, tsunami
    MMDA simulates rescue march after quake, tsunami

    The Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) yesterday led the annual rescue march from Quezon City to Manila, giving rescue volunteers a glimpse of possible scenarios if the metropolis is hit by a strong quake or is inundated by a tsunami. Cora Jimenez, MMDA general manager, said 700 volunteer rescuers walked from the Quezon City memorial circle to the Bonifacio monument in front of the Manila city hall to simulate a response-exercise to a magnitude 7.2 earthquake. Renato Solidum, …

  • Islamic State threatens Mindanao, Phl tells Asean
    Islamic State threatens Mindanao, Phl tells Asean

    Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario bared yesterday before the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) reports of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) threat to the Philippines through the Black Flag Movement in Mindanao. Speaking before ASEAN foreign ministers, Del Rosario said the ISIS threat to Philippine security is real rather than imagined because of the Black Flag Movement’s pledge of allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. …

  • ‘Chinese reclamation affecting Phl’s energy security bid’
    ‘Chinese reclamation affecting Phl’s energy security bid’

    China’s occupation and buildup of its military structures in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea is causing the country’s top energy official to get the jitters as the encroachment is seen as a huge dent on the Philippines’ efforts to achieve energy security. “It is a concern but if we don’t bring it to the United Nations, where will we bring it? We cannot bang heads with them,” Energy Secretary Carlos Jericho Petilla told The STAR in an interview over the weekend. The US Energy …

  • Phl to Asean: China getting de facto control
    Phl to Asean: China getting de facto control

    The Philippines yesterday urged the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to unite and stop China’s massive reclamation in disputed waters as it will give China “de facto control” over the area and cause $100 million in marine wealth losses annually. At the ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting here, Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario told his counterparts that the situation in West Philippine Sea had worsened just a year after the Philippines began to draw international …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options