TWENTY modern public utility jeepneys (MPUJs) will be deployed in Cebu under the second scheme of the free ride service contracting program of the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) 7 on Tuesday, May 4, 2021.
Eduardo Montealto Jr., LTFRB 7 director, said these MPUJ units will augment the first batch of 10 public utility buses (Ceres buses) that was deployed to ferry health care workers for free.
The 20 MPUJs will cater to both health care workers and authorized persons outside of residence.
These will be deployed following their original routes.
“The payout for this will be delayed since the process for the contract is still ongoing. So, only big companies and cooperatives can afford to do it with delayed payment for the meantime,” Montealto said in a mix of Cebuano and English.
Ten Ceres buses operated by Vallacar Transit Inc. have been operating under the program since April 16, even though the company has yet to sign a formal contract for the program with the LTFRB 7.
Montealto, earlier, said a total of 100 MPUJs and buses will be deployed for the second scheme of the program.
The corresponding incentive for MPUJs hired by the government for the second scheme is P45 per kilometer covered in which 30 percent goes to the driver and the remaining 70 percent goes to the operator.
The incentive for buses is P80 per kilometer of which 30 percent goes to the driver and 70 percent goes to the operator.
Under the first scheme of the free ride service, which started in January, only health care workers can ride for free while the rest of the passengers have to pay. Also, only drivers are given an incentive of P11 per kilometer they cover. (WBS)