'222 dead' in Qaeda battle for Yemen's Loder

At least 222 people, including 183 militants, have been killed in five days of clashes around the strategic southern town of Loder that Al-Qaeda is trying to seize, Yemeni security sources said on Saturday.

In the southern port city of Aden, also southern Yemen, an attack on a checkpoint by Al-Qaeda-linked fighters and a subsequent gunbattle left eight of the assailants and four policemen killed, police said.

Thirty-seven people were killed in Loder on Friday, the sources told AFP, among them a child of 12 killed by a shell burst inside the town. The rest were five tribal auxiliaries and 31 militants.

Loder was quiet on Saturday "after the Al-Qaeda fighters withdrew to positions they occupied before the fighting began, leaving behind several snipers," another military source said of the clashes that erupted on Monday.

The militants pulled back to Um Sorra, five kilometres (three miles) southwest of Loder, and towards Wadhia and Arqub, 10 and 15 kilometres away, respectively.

Loder lies some 150 kilometres northeast of Zinjibar, the Abyan provincial capital that militants of the Al-Qaeda-linked Partisans of Sharia (Islamic law) overran last May.

The authorities announced on Friday they had deployed around 200 anti-terrorist forces to Loder to counter the mounting Al-Qaeda threat.

Firefights erupted on Monday between the army backed by tribal levies and the militants. Since then the extremists have lost 183 men, and the army said it has suffered 14 dead.

Another 24 members of the so-called popular resistance committees, made up of armed local residents, were also killed, in addition to the child killed by shell fire.

Al-Qaeda briefly seized Loder in August 2010 before being driven out by the army.

A tribal source said the militants wanted to recapture it because of its strategic location between Shabwa, Bayda and Lahij provinces where Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, or AQAP, is also active.

In a potential blow, local Al-Qaeda chief Abdel Rauf Nassib was captured on Friday by army auxiliaries, who turned him over to the army, military and tribal sources said.

Nassib has been wanted for several years on charges of forming an armed band. In 2006, he was acquitted of involvement in the bombing of the USS Cole in Aden that killed 17 sailors.

Abyan province has fallen completely under AQAP control except for Loder and Mudia.

The United States considers the Yemen-based AQAP to be the most deadly and active branch of the global terror network.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

  • Project NOAH exec receives recognition
    Project NOAH exec receives recognition

    Project NOAH executive director and University of the Philippines professor Mahar Lagmay recently received recognition from the European Geosciences Union (EGU) for his work in disaster risk reduction and mitigation in the Philippines. …

  • Nightclub ban for US troops
    Nightclub ban for US troops

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said yesterday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipino he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow the 10-day annual military exercises, according to Capt. Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow
    US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening  defense alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China’s increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Palace defends legal tack in sea row
    Palace defends legal tack in sea row

    There is nothing weak about taking the legal and diplomatic approach to push for the country’s claims in the disputed West Philippine Sea, Malacañang maintained yesterday. On Friday, Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares led a rally in front of the Chinese consulate in Makati City to protest China’s massive reclamation activities in the Spratly island group to fortify its presence in the disputed waters. Colmenares also criticized the Philippine government for supposedly not doing enough to defend …

  • Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death
    Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death

    The sons of Mary Jane Veloso, who is facing execution in Indonesia for drug smuggling, yesterday appealed to government officials to do everything to spare their mother from death. “We love you,” Mark Daniel, 12, said when asked for a message for his mother following a press conference at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City. Mark Daniel, an incoming Grade 8 student, reiterated his appeal to those in power to help save his mother from death. His younger brother, …

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options