29 evacuees now discharged after treatment for food poisoning

Marje Pelayo
Earthquake victims in Makilala town, North Cotabato suffered abdominal pains followed by vomiting after eating pastel for lunch on Monday, November 4, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – All 29 victims of food poisoning in Makilala, Cotabato were already discharged from the hospital.

According to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), evacuees from Barangay Malabuan suffered stomach pains followed by vomiting after eating pastel that was part of the donated food packages in the evacuation center.

To prevent the incident from happening again, authorities improved security measures at checkpoints to ensure the quality of food being delivered to the evacuees.

The agency also called on all donors to make sure that food donations are properly prepared and packed to prevent spoilage.

“Hindi naman po natin masisisi ang kung sino man dito sa nangyari (We can’t blame anyone for what happened),” Timbal said.

“But we will do our best to ensure (that this won’t happen again),” he added.

Meanwhile, the national government is sending additional funds for the rehabilitation of earthquake-affected towns in Mindanao.

Earlier on Wednesday (November 6), Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana together with Health Secretary Francisco Duque III and Interior Secretary Eduardo Año visited Kidapawan City Provincial Capitol to check on the situation.

Lorenzana said local chief executives are asking for additional budget as they have already used up most of their calamity fund.

Apart from rehabilitation, the national government also provided for the relocation of the victims who lost their homes from the earthquake. – MNP (with details from Harlene Delgado)

The post 29 evacuees now discharged after treatment for food poisoning appeared first on UNTV News.