3 killed, 16 hurt in bus explosion in North Cotabato

(Updated 3:24 p.m.) Three people were killed while 16 others were injured following an explosion inside a commercial bus in the southern Philippine province of North Cotabato, regional military and police officials said Wednesday. Col. Leopoldo Galon, spokesperson for the Armed Forces Eastern Mindanao Command, said the explosion occurred at 10:25 a.m. when the Cagayan de Oro-bound Rural Transit bus (body number 2922 with plate number KVS 740) reached Carmen Terminal in North Cotabato. Galon identified the three fatalities as Rona Causing, 18 years old; Gladzin Himpiso, 10; and Dima Causing, 62. Injured in the blast were: Guirea Danggo 21 Basilisa Anipot, 45 Marvin Nacicnal, 23 Sonny Balanay, 39 Leo Limciano, 44 Alvin Diaz, 19 Lovena Acyo, 46 Lea Fabiona, 52 Analyn Soico, 35 Hara Janine Cosco, 11 Allan Himpiso Sr., 33 Allan Himpiso Jr., 6 Judy Ann Somailon, 9, Smela Luneza, 18 Rosa Delia Garbo, 41, and Alberto Isidro, 36 Senior Superintendent Cornelio Salinas, provincial director of the North Cotabato Provincial Police Office, said a baggage with an improvised explosive device (IED) inside was placed in the compartment area of the bus. He said the slain passengers were seated in an area where the IED was planted. It was not immedidately known how many passengers were inside the bus at the time of the explosion. An initial report said there were 10 fatalities and two injured, but Lt. Col. Benjie Hao, commander of the Army's 7th Infantry Battalion, corrected the figures. Salinas said the injured passengers were immediately rushed to Kabacan Medical Specialist Center in Kabacan, North Cotabato for treatment. Wednesday's blast was the second attack against Rural Transit Bus this year, records from the police showed. Last Feb 7, a passenger was injured when an IED went off while a Rural Transit Bus was cruising along Kabacan-Carmen highway.

Extortion as motive? Both Salinas and Galon believe extortion was the motive behind the blast. “We saw here a pattern," Salinas said. "The suspects would board the bus from Tacurong City-Carmen highway and the blast would happen from Kabacan-Carmen highway.” Armed Forces of the Philippines Eastern Mindanao Command spokesman Col. Leopoldo Galon said the bombed bus belonged to Rural Transit, whose units had been bombed before.

Galon, in an interview with radio dzBB, said: "Yung motive is extortion, protection money. Pattern talaga [ang] Rural Bus Transit, mangilan-ngilan na rin. Early this year may ganoong klaseng pagsabog." The bus company, according to police, had been receiving extortion threats from several armed lawless groups, including the notorious Al Khobar, an extortion ring that allegedly has links with a terrorist group operating in Southwest Mindanao. Authorities are still determining if the latest attack against Rural Transit Bus was the handiwork of Al Khobar. — with Malu Cadelina Manar/RSJ/KBK, GMA News

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Pagasa: Drought may worsen
    Pagasa: Drought may worsen

    The drought in 12 already dry areas in the country is expected to worsen as the summer season peaks next month, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. In an advisory, PAGASA said the provinces of Albay, Bataan, Batangas, Biliran, Cavite, Cebu, Ilocos Norte, Leyte, Misamis Occidental, Pampanga, Zamboanga del Norte and Zamboanga del Sur will continue to receive “way below” or “below normal” rainfall in May. PAGASA defines …

  • Maximum restraint for Phl troops in West Phl Sea
    Maximum restraint for Phl troops in West Phl Sea

    The military has advised its pilots conducting surveillance in the West Philippine Sea to exercise maximum restraint even if they are being bullied by Chinese troops. Armed Forces spokesman Brig. Gen. Joselito Kakilala said all actions of the pilots should be consistent with the declaration of conduct signed by claimant countries. Armed Forces public affairs chief Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc said the Philippines should remain on moral high ground when it comes to the territorial dispute. A …

  • MMDA simulates rescue march after quake, tsunami
    MMDA simulates rescue march after quake, tsunami

    The Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) yesterday led the annual rescue march from Quezon City to Manila, giving rescue volunteers a glimpse of possible scenarios if the metropolis is hit by a strong quake or is inundated by a tsunami. Cora Jimenez, MMDA general manager, said 700 volunteer rescuers walked from the Quezon City memorial circle to the Bonifacio monument in front of the Manila city hall to simulate a response-exercise to a magnitude 7.2 earthquake. Renato Solidum, …

  • Islamic State threatens Mindanao, Phl tells Asean
    Islamic State threatens Mindanao, Phl tells Asean

    Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario bared yesterday before the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) reports of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) threat to the Philippines through the Black Flag Movement in Mindanao. Speaking before ASEAN foreign ministers, Del Rosario said the ISIS threat to Philippine security is real rather than imagined because of the Black Flag Movement’s pledge of allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. …

  • ‘Chinese reclamation affecting Phl’s energy security bid’
    ‘Chinese reclamation affecting Phl’s energy security bid’

    China’s occupation and buildup of its military structures in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea is causing the country’s top energy official to get the jitters as the encroachment is seen as a huge dent on the Philippines’ efforts to achieve energy security. “It is a concern but if we don’t bring it to the United Nations, where will we bring it? We cannot bang heads with them,” Energy Secretary Carlos Jericho Petilla told The STAR in an interview over the weekend. The US Energy …

  • Phl to Asean: China getting de facto control
    Phl to Asean: China getting de facto control

    The Philippines yesterday urged the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to unite and stop China’s massive reclamation in disputed waters as it will give China “de facto control” over the area and cause $100 million in marine wealth losses annually. At the ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting here, Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario told his counterparts that the situation in West Philippine Sea had worsened just a year after the Philippines began to draw international …

  • Gov’t spends P11.8 M for Noy’s Asean trip
    Gov’t spends P11.8 M for Noy’s Asean trip

    The government has allotted about P11.8 million for President Aquino’s attendance at the 26th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit in Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi in Malaysia from April 26 to 28. “President Aquino’s participation to the 26th ASEAN Summit is important as the region gears toward the creation of an ASEAN community, which is envisioned to provide new opportunities for the peoples of this region, including the Philippines,” Ochoa said in a statement. He was with …

  • Mary Jane: Shun drugs, get legit recruiters
    Mary Jane: Shun drugs, get legit recruiters

    As Mary Jane Veloso held on to vestiges of hope that her life might be spared, she thanked Filipinos for their support and had some pieces of advice.  Efforts to save Veloso from the firing squad continued after Indonesian authorities issued the notice of execution to the Filipina worker who had written four letters – including one for President Aquino – expressing hope that justice will prevail and her gratitude to her countrymen. Veloso’s relatives arrived in Nusa Kambangan Island on …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options