30 structures occupying sidewalks in upland Cebu City demolished

·1 min read

THE Cebu City Government and the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) demolished at least 30 structures that have illegally occupied the sidewalks in Busay, an upland barangay in Cebu City.

The team composed of personnel from DPWH, Cebu City Transportation Office, Cebu City Police Office, and the Cebu City Prevention Restoration Beautification and Enhancemen (PROBE) led the clearing operations Tuesday, September 20, 2022.

Engr. Edwin Muit of the DPWH said that they have already served three separate notices to the owners to personally destroy the structures since it had already obstructed the sidewalks.

Muit added that pedestrians were already using the roads since the sidewalks were occupied by the structures.

"Naka-obstruct na sa passageway, kung dili gub-on mag hinay-hinay na og adto sa karsada...ang manglakaw ari na agi sa karsada, peligro kaayo," said Muit.

The initiative is also in line with the vision of Mayor Michael Rama to achieve a Singapore-like status for Cebu City, he added.

Muit further said that the clearing operations will proceed to different barangays after the notices will be served to the owners. (IRT)