THE number of active coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) cases in Cebu City has fallen below the 500-mark as the recovery rate climbs to 89.78 percent.
The Department of Health (DOH) 7 reported on Friday, Sept. 4, 2020, that Cebu City had 330 remaining active Covid-19 cases and 276 new recoveries, bringing the total number of recoveries to 8,679.
Fourteen additional cases were logged on Friday, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases in the city to 9,667. Five new deaths were also reported, bringing the total number of mortalities to 658.
From Aug. 31 to Sept. 4, Cebu City reported 343 recoveries.
City Councilor Joel Garganera, Emergency Operations Center (EOC) deputy chief implementer, said the improvement on the Covid-19 situation was the result of the City Government and the DOH 7 working hand in hand.
He said the daily average number of cases has dropped steadily in the past three months.
In June, the city recorded a three-digit daily average, 97 in July and 21 in August, Garganera said.
In September, so far, that dropped to single digit.
On Sept. 2, the city logged six cases out of 373 individuals tested, while on Sept. 3, the city logged five cases out of 461 individuals tested.
Garganera said the 14 positive cases reported on Friday came from the more than 500 individuals who were tested.
Despite these recent developments, the city councilor urged the public not to let their guard down and to continuously follow and observe health protocol.
New source of transmission
He said restaurants might be a new source of transmission, especially since they’re now allowed to operate at 75 percent of their capacity.
“They have to bear in mind that the primordial concern should be the safety of their customers. If they cannot do that, they should not accommodate the (whole) 75 percent,” Garganera said.
The EOC has had its eyes on Barangay Bacayan, which has reported new cases in eight straight days all coming from one area.
“There are other barangays that have Covid cases but we didn’t panic. But we are in panic mode when it comes to Bacayan since the barangay has reported new cases every day for the eight straight days,” Garganera said in Cebuano.
According to him, Bacayan has 16 active Covid-19 cases.
Garganera said law enforcers were sent to the barangay on Friday to apprehend quarantine violators.
He said many residents have not been heeding the stay-at-home order, which the EOC blamed for the cause of transmission.
“It turned out it’s more of the movement (of the people),” he said.
Garganera said they’ve prepared the gym in the neighboring barangay of Talamban to hold apprehended violators.
He said 54 violators have been apprehended in Barangay Bacayan since the end of March.
He said cases will be filed against apprehended violators pursuant to City Ordinance 2566, or “An Ordinance Penalizing any Violation in Relation to the Implementation of General/Enhanced Community Quarantine in Cebu City During Public Health Crisis.”
On Saturday, Sept. 5, the DOH reported more than 2,000 Covid-19 cases, along with over 50 new deaths and 1,000 more recoveries.
The DOH, in its latest case bulletin, said 2,529 new Covid-19 cases were confirmed Saturday out of the total tests done by 92 of the country’s 113 laboratories.
This brought the country’s total to 234,570.
Majority of the new cases came from the National Capital Region (NCR) with 1,171.
Also seeing high number of cases are Negros Occidental (197), Laguna (145), Cavite (117), and Bulacan (70).
The DOH also said that 53 more Covid-19 patients have died, raising the death toll to 3,790.
Majority of the new deaths were recorded in the NCR with 32.
Other deaths were reported in Central Luzon (six), Western Visayas (four), Calabarzon (four), Ilocos Region (two), Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (two), Cordillera Administrative Region (two) and Soccsksargen (one).
Despite the rising number of mortalities, the DOH noted that 1,136 more patients have recovered from the disease.
The number of Covid-19 survivors has reached 161,668, as of Saturday.
Globally, the novel coronavirus has infected 26,171,112 people. Of the total, 865,154 people have succumbed to the disease, said the World Health Organization. (JJL / SunStar Philippines)