A TOTAL of 34 minors between the ages of five and 17 years old were rescued by members of Task Force Kasaligan and operatives of the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) on Monday night, Oct. 5, 2020.
They were caught playing games inside internet cafes and playing basketball during foot patrols launched by the task force in Barangays Labangon, Mambaling, Lorega and T. Padilla, which all have a high number of coronavirus disease 2019 cases.
“We warned their parents that we would charge them if we find their children violating the stay-at-home order again,” Maj. Ardiolito Cabagnot, task force battalion commander, said in Cebuano.
CCPO Director Col. Josefino Ligan said he understands that some children need to go to internet cafés because of their online classes, but they must be accompanied by a guardian since minors are forbidden to leave their homes.
“Internet cafes must also ensure social distancing is observed inside,” Ligan said in Cebuano.
Ligan has ordered his chief of police to inspect internet cafés, especially those located in the interior part of barangays.
The task force also took down basketball boards and rings and confiscated balls to prevent residents from playing basketball.
Earlier on Monday, the task force also caught two adolescent men carrying suspected shabu in Barangay Mambaling.
Cabagnot said they were enforcing minimum health standards in the area when they chanced upon the two.
When asked to produce a quarantine pass, a packet containing a white crystalline substance believed to be shabu fell from the mask of one of the teens. The other was seen trying to throw something away.
When task force members checked the second teen, they found six additional packets of suspects shabu and several shabu paraphernalia.
The task force, accompanied by members of the barangay’s gender and development, brought the two suspects to the police station. (AYB, GPL / MMC)