MANILA, Philippines - Makati City culminates its celebration of its 342nd Foundation Day today with a thanksgiving mass and almusalan (breakfast). Noted for its highly cosmopolitan culture, with a skyline which is considered one of the most impressive sights in the metropolis, Makati is home to many first-class shopping malls, five-star hotels, posh villages, well-known educational institutions, and the Makati Business Club and the Philippine Stock Exchange. Ayala Avenue, which runs through the heart of the city's Central Business District (CBD) is often referred to as the Wall Street of the Philippines.
With the theme "Sampiro de Makati: From Grass to Class," the 342nd Anniversary celebration kicked off on May 3-4, 2012, with the conduct of free Fasting Blood Sugar for city government employees, and a Flores de Mayo. The month-long festivity featured: "Likha ng Sining," a two-day family art fair interesting art lectures; the inaugural of "Sampiro de Makati Festival" that pays homage to the city's humble beginnings; the Miss Makati 2012 beauty pageant whose titleholder help in the promotion of the city as the prime investment destination and urban and medical tourism hub in Asia; and the Vice President's Fellowship Dinner with 1,852 delegates from 356 sister local government units and other stakeholders and constituents.
Founded in 1670 as a visita of Sta. Ana de Sapa under the jurisdiction of the Franciscans, Makati used to be a swampland, practically a wilderness, a quaint community by the banks of the Pasig River, and was passed up by Don Juan Miguel de Legazpi in 1571 as a worthless parcel of land. Years later, the friars established in Makati two of the earliest churches in the Philippines - the Nuestra Señora de Gracia in Guadalupe and the Church of Sts. Peter and Paul - drawing pilgrims from all over the country.
At the turn of the century, the Americans established Fort McKinley in Makati, and in 1901, San Pedro de Makati (the city's name during the Spanish period) with a population of 2,500, was incorporated into the province of Rizal. On February 28, 1914, the Philippine Legislature passed Act 2390, shortening the name San Pedro de Makati to Makati. In the 1930's, Nielson Airport, the first airport in the country, opened in what is now the Ayala Triangle. The first centrally planned community was established in the 1950's and by the 70's, the once worthless swampland, had been transformed into the financial and commercial capital of the Philippines.
The Manila Bulletin led by its Chairman Dr. Emilio T. Yap, President and Publisher Atty. Hermogenes P. Pobre, Executive Vice President Dr. Emilio C. Yap III, Editor-in-Chief Dr. Cris J. Icban Jr., Officers and Staff, greet the City of Makati, headed by its Mayor Jejomar Erwin S. Binay Jr., Vice Mayor Romulo V. Peña Jr., 1st District Representative Monique Yazmin Q. Lagdameo, 2nd District Representative Mar-len Abigail S. Binay, City Administrator Marjorie A. de Veyra, Sangguniang Panlungsod District I - Arnold C. Magpantay, Ferdinand T. Eusebio, Manuel Monsour T. Del Rosario III, Maria Concepcion M. Yabut, Marie Alethea S. Casal-Uy, Romeo C. Medina, Tosca Camille P. Puno Ramos, and Virgilio V. Hilario Sr., District II - Henry A. Jacome, Leonardo M. Magpantay, Maria Theresa N. De Lara, Mary Ruth C. Tolentino, Nelson S. Pasia, Nemesio S. Yabut Jr., Salvador D. Pangilinan, and Vincent T. See, Punong Barangays District I - Fermin Eusebio (Bangkal), Constancia Lichauco (Bel-Air), Pablito Guce (Carmona), Ma. Filonena Rosales (Dasmariñas), Rosanna Fores (Forbes Park), Victor Lobrio (Kasilawan), Elmer Jose Espiritu (La Paz), Armando Padilla (Magallanes), Vicente Constantino (Olympia), Ernesto Cruz (Palanan), Ma. Arlene Ortega (Pio del Pilar), Benhur Cruz (Poblacion), Rosario Charito Go (San Antonio), Dario Fojas (San Isidro), Ernesto Moya (San Lorenzo), Ramon Espeña (Singkamas), Virginia Salenga (Sta. Cruz), Lino Zaraspe (Tejeros), Angela Regala (Urdaneta), and Michael Infante (Valenzuela), District II - Evelyn Delfina Villamor (Cembo), Ariel Sarmiento (Comembo), Artemio Contreras II (East Rembo), Rodolfo Sese (Guadalupe Nuevo), Edgardo Lugay (Guadalupe Viejo), Jeline Olfato (Pembo), Michael Tolentino (Pinagkaisahan), Nemesio Alvior (Pitogo), Mariuslex Sangalang (Post Proper North), Maribel Vitales (Post Proper South), Wenefreda Ureña (Rizal), Richard Raymond (South Cembo), and Judith Celos (West Cembo), other Officials and Residents, on the occasion of their 342nd Foundation Anniversary. We wish them all the best and success in all their endeavors. CONGRATULATIONS!