4 fire incidents welcome November in Cebu City

NOVEMBER was not so kind to some Cebuanos as four fire incidents broke out Tuesday, November 1, while everybody was observing the All Saints’ Day.

The first incident happened at 3:47 a.m. Tuesday under the flyover in Barangay Mambaling. One house owned by a certain William Dayata was damaged in the incident.

The fire was put out immediately but it left P30,000 worth of damage, while three people were injured, namely, Troylan Sasil, 25; Mayrish Bolay-og, 16; and Dayata, himself. They sustained minor burns in their bodies.

The second blaze happened inside the cemetery in Barangay Pardo, Cebu City, particularly at the common prayer area where candles had been lighted. The Mass was stopped because of the incident, but the fire was immediately put out.

Another fire broke out also inside a cemetery, this time at Cebu Memorial Park in Barangay Banilad. The area affected was also a prayer area where people converge to light candles and offer prayers.

No one was hurt in the second and third incidents.

The fourth fire broke out in Sitio Tugas, Barangay Mambaling, Cebu City at 9:58 p.m. Tuesday. A total of 110 houses were hit, of which eight were destroyed.

Fire Officer 3 Emerson Arceo, fire investigator on duty, said the blaze started at the house of Jerrylyn Laborte and then spread to other houses made of light materials.

Firefighters declared the fire under control at 10:50 p.m. and it was completely put out at 11:03 p.m.

In an interview with SunStar, Arceo said that based on their investigation, a lighted candle that was left unattended caused the blaze. He added, though, that they have yet to determine who lit the candle.

The fire left a P1.8 million worth of damage. (BBT/LMY)