6-month-old baby drowns in pail of water and chemicals in Bacolod City

A six-month-old baby girl died in Bacolod City yesterday after accidentally falling and drowning in a pail that contained water and chemicals.

The freak accident occurred at the Libertad Public Market in Amelia Street, Barangay (village) 40 yesterday at around 2am, reported The Philippine Daily Inquirer.  

The baby’s parents both work as vegetable vendors. Due to exhaustion, the parents decided to stay for the night at their store instead of going home, reported the news show Unang Balita. They woke up from slumber to discover that their child drowned in a pail containing water and oxalic acid, a chemical used to remove rust and stains and to clean vegetables.

They believe that the baby woke up, crawled, and fell into the pail.

The child was brought to the Corazon Locsin Montelibano Memorial Regional Hospital in Bacolod City for treatment but she did not survive, reported SunStar Bacolod.  

Marinel Palacios, the victim’s aunt, told Unang Balita that the public should not assume that the parents were irresponsible because they took proper care of the baby when she was still alive despite being busy with work.

This article, 6-month-old baby drowns in pail of water and chemicals in Bacolod City, originally appeared on Coconuts, Asia's leading alternative media company. Want more Coconuts? Sign up for our newsletters!