MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine General Hospital on Monday (Dec. 23) confirmed that the 68 patients rushed from Rizal, Laguna on Sunday were victims of methanol poisoning.
PGH spokesperson Dr. Jonas del Rosario made the confirmation, saying that such was caused by drinking coconut wine or lambanog.
“It’s methanol poisoning, ganyan po ang signs and symptoms ng methanol toxicity at na-confirm na po at nakausap na po namin si Mayor Munoz,” del Rosario said.
The hospital administration said 165 patients were initially brought to them with some eventually transferred to East Avenue Medical Center and the Rizal Medical Center.
Del Rosario said nine victims are being closely monitored, as one of them is now in critical condition.
“Yun pong mga pasyente natin na nasa ER (Emergency Room) lalo na po yung mga unstable yung nasa red, isa po ay nasa ICU (Intensive Care Unit), siya po ay dina-dialysis para matanggal po yung acid sa kaniyang dugo yun naman pong 6 po, naiakyat na sa ward siyempre minomonitor pa at 2 na lang po ang nasa emergency room,” he said.
Del Rosario added that 42 patients were also found to be showing symptoms of methanol poisoning such as headache, dizziness, and stomach pains; while 17 are still under observation.
The hospital administration said some of the patients may already be discharged within the week. – (from the report of Nel Maribojoc) /mbmf
The post 68 victims of lambanog poisoning admitted at PGH; one in critical condition appeared first on UNTV News.