Sikh temple shooter had white supremacist ties: FBI

US federal agents believe the slain suspect in a deadly attack on worshippers at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin had ties to white supremacist groups, a senior investigator said.

Special Agent Teresa Carlson, head of the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Milwaukee field office, confirmed that 40-year-old suspect Wade Michael Page is the subject of a "domestic terrorism" probe following Sunday's massacre.

"We are looking at ties to white supremacist groups," Carlson told a news conference a day after Sunday's shooting, in which six people attending a service at a suburban Milwaukee temple were gunned down.

"We did not have an active investigation on him before yesterday," she said. "No law enforcement agency had any reason to believe he was plotting anything.

"We are working on it as a possible domestic terrorism case," she added. "The definition of domestic terrorism is the use of violence for social or political gain. That's obviously what we are looking at."

Investigators also released a picture of a second man -- who was white, with short brown hair and a muscular build -- who they described as a "person of interest" and who raised suspicions when he joined crowds viewing the police cordon outside the temple on Sunday.

They urged members of the public to come forward with any information on Page, the person of interest or any other details which may help their investigation.

"We don't have any reason to believe there was anyone else associated with this shooting," Carlson said.

"We are continuing to work and if there is anybody we will identify them."

Carlson said the FBI was always on the alert for possible copy cat attacks after such an incident, but noted that investigators had no specific reason to fear that any further violence is being planned.

Investigators are also not aware of any connection Page may have had to the temple, which had not received any threats prior to the incident.

"The FBI is going to do everything in our power to fully and efficiently investigate this case and do everything to prevent this from ever happening again," she added.

Officials said the firearm retrieved at the scene of the shooting was a 9mm handgun that had been purchased legally and that the shooter had brought several magazines with which to reload the weapon.

Police evacuated several blocks of neighboring Cudahy as they prepared to search Page's home Sunday but did not find any boobytraps.

Carlson declined to say what type of evidence was discovered or if Page had left a note.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea
    US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was recovering from surgery Thursday after having his face and arm slashed by a knife-wielding activist in an attack applauded by North Korean state media. The United States condemned the "act of violence" which saw the ambassador rushed to hospital where his condition was described as stable after two-and-a-half hours of surgery that included 80 stitches to a deep gash on his right cheek. In a brief despatch, North Korea's official KCNA news …

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • New Moro rebel group emerges
    New Moro rebel group emerges

    A radical Muslim cleric trained in the Middle East and considered one of the leaders of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) has broken away from the terror group to form his own band of jihadists who are now reportedly providing sanctuary to bomb expert Basit Usman and at least five foreign militants, the military said yesterday. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla, citing reports from the field, said the Justice for Islamic Movement (JIM) was …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options