Afghans 'can take over if French troops pull out'

The Afghan government said Monday its forces are ready to take responsibility for security in 2013, downplaying the risks if French president-elect Francois Hollande recalls 3,400 troops early.

Paris is the fifth largest contributor to the US-led NATO force battling Taliban insurgents in the country and Hollande made a campaign promise to withdraw the contingent this year.

The move would end his country's combat role two years earlier than NATO's carefully crafted plan to hand security control to Afghans by 2014.

"For us a NATO stance is more important than individual decisions by individual nations," Afghan defence ministry spokesman General Mohammad Zahir Azimi told AFP.

"And Afghanistan is well prepared to take over all security responsibilities in 2013."

Last week Hollande said pulling out by the end of 2012 was the "right thing" to do, but he has insisted France would coordinate with NATO allies to avoid leaving a security vacuum when French troops leave unstable Kapisa province, northeast of Kabul.

A senior Afghan defence official doubted whether an early withdrawal was feasible, and said the pledge appeared to have been aimed at a French audience.

"From a military point of view I think it's not practical to withdraw troops within what's left of 2012," the official told AFP, requesting anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the media on the issue.

"I think it was rather an election campaign promise than a practical decision. They won't withdraw this year."

Hollande, who won power on Sunday in a close race against incumbent Nicolas Sarkozy, will meet fellow NATO leaders at a summit hosted by US President Barack Obama in Chicago on May 20-21, just days after being sworn in.

NATO military officials said the alliance had already made contingency plans for Socialist candidate Hollande defeating right-winger Sarkozy.

Lieutenant Colonel Jimmie Cummings, spokesman for NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), said France was making a valuable contribution in Afghanistan and stressed its commitment to training local forces.

"They signed a long term agreement with Afghanistan, they made clear their commitment to train the Afghan forces. It's a very strong sign to the insurgency, the Taliban," he told AFP.

Nevertheless, a diplomat acknowledged that the new leader's stance "was not warmly welcomed" at alliance headquarters.

The early French pullout challenges NATO assurances that there would be no "rush to the exit", even though the war is unpopular in the West after a decade of fighting that has killed almost 3,000 foreign troops.

In Chicago, NATO wants to show a united front, repeating its "in together, out together" mantra as it fine-tunes the final phase of a mission that has yet to defeat the Taliban despite the presence of 130,000 international troops.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano
    Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano

    Government troops captured Sunday a bomb and weapons factory of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) in Mamasapano, Maguindanao, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) announced yesterday. Col. Restituto Padilla, AFP spokesman, said the captured bomb and weapons factory is located inside an area controlled by radical Muslim cleric Ustadz Mohammad Ali Tambako at Barangay Dasikil in Mamasapano. …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors
    No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

    Instead of filing an opposition, ombudsman prosecutors filed a manifestation yesterday expressing belief that there is no urgent need for Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to visit his son at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center. “Based on the clinical abstract issued by the Asian Hospital on patient (Cavite) Vice-governor (Jolo) Revilla, which was submitted by accused Revilla in support of his Urgent Motion, Vice-governor Revilla is in stable condition and has stable vital signs, as of March 1, …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say
    How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say

    CAIRO (AP) — Three British schoolgirls believed to have gone to Syria to become "jihadi" brides. Three young men charged in New York with plotting to join the Islamic State group and carry out attacks on American soil. A masked, knife-wielding militant from London who is the face of terror in videos showing Western hostages beheaded. …

  • Lawmakers split on tax exemption for Pacquiao
    Lawmakers split on tax exemption for Pacquiao

    Colleagues of boxing champion Manny Pacquiao at the House of Representatives backed yesterday a proposal to exempt his earnings from his May 2 fight with American Floyd Mayweather from income tax. Internal Revenue Commissioner Kim Henares has urged Pacquiao to promptly pay taxes on his May 2 earnings, which are projected to reach at least $120 million (more than P5.2 billion). …

  • Recruitment firm accused of worldwide scam
    Recruitment firm accused of worldwide scam

    Filipinos aspiring to work overseas should avoid dealing with a recruitment agency that has duped jobseekers worldwide, Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz said yesterday. The National Bureau of Investigation has padlocked Global Visas Inc., which is based in Cebu. Baldoz said the agency’s parent company, ICS Global Visas Inc. based in the United Kingdom, has reportedly collapsed and left thousands of applicants without jobs.  “Global Visas was in the limelight this week, following its reported …

  • Woman with slain Putin critic says she didn't see his killer
    Woman with slain Putin critic says she didn't see his killer

    MOSCOW (AP) — The 23-year-old Ukrainian model who was with slain opposition leader Boris Nemtsov tearfully recounted Monday their last dinner in a chic Red Square restaurant and their walk onto a nearby bridge — but said she did not see the gunman who pulled the trigger. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options