After TRO lapsed, PH dolphins on to Singapore

There may be no stopping the re-export of 25 bottle-nose dolphins from Subic to Singapore.
 
A day after a Temporary Environmental Protection Order (TEPO) that a Quezon City court issued against shipping off the dolphins lapsed, Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources director Asis Perez confirmed that the government has given its go signal.
 
"Yes, the Department of Agriculture has issued the said permit," he told Yahoo! Southeast Asia in a text message.
 
This, despite plans by petitioner Trixie Concepcion of Earth Island Institute Philippines to file a motion of reconsideration to extend the TEPO. Concepcion told Yahoo! Southeast Asia that she felt that she was deprived of due process.
 
Judge Evangeline Castillo-Marigomen of Quezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 101 ruled against extending the TEPO on Wednesday, saying petitioners "have not proven any violation of law committed by the concerned government agencies (DA and BFAR)."
 
Perez said he has no information on when the dolphins will be shipped out. He said, however, that quarantine officers will oversee the shipment when it does happen.
 
The dolphins, which were captured in the Solomon Islands, have been an attraction at Ocean Adventure Park in Subic, Zambales since 2008.
 
A report on the Solomon Times warns the dolphin trade there may be unsustainable.
 
Citing research from the South Pacific Whale Research Consortium, the Solomon Times article said the dolphin population in Guadalcanal Province may already have been halved by the dolphin trade. It said only one dolphin should be taken from the province every five years.
 
Concepcion and another petitioner, Philippine Animal Welfare Society director Anna Cabrera, want the dolphins returned to the Solomon Islands and released into the wild.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • A trying Heat season now hitting the stretch run
    A trying Heat season now hitting the stretch run

    MIAMI (AP) — To say the Miami Heat have been presented with a new problem every day since last season ended, that would be an exaggeration. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options