Air India pilots extend strike, flights cancelled

The number of pilots involved in a wildcat strike at India's national carrier Air India rose to 150 on Wednesday, as the walkout forced the cancellation of more international flights.

Some 100 pilots walked out on the first day of the strike at the debt-laden airline Tuesday and by day two the number had increased.

"About 150 pilots representing the Indian Pilots' Guild have reported sick," K. Swaminathan, a spokesman for Air India, told AFP.

Air India said that four international flights, including two to New York, were cancelled on Wednesday due to the industrial action, after several were axed the previous day.

The airline, which loses nearly $2 million a day, is facing mounting problems due to rising fuel prices, competition from low-cost rivals and a record of labour disputes.

Air India has sacked 20 of the striking pilots and Swaminathan said the airline fired them because "their actions were illegal." The airline has also stripped the pilots' union of recognition.

Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh also called the strike illegal and said the government was open to talks once staff returned to work.

"Discussion and disruption cannot take place at the same time. It is totally unjustified not showing up for work," Singh told an Indian TV news channel.

The pilots are protesting against former Indian Airlines pilots, who moved to Air India when the two firms merged in 2007, also being trained for new Boeing 787 Dreamliner airplanes, saying the plan would threaten their career prospects.

The pilots ruled out halting their protest even as the Delhi High Court ordered them to stop their "illegal strike," saying the industrial action could cause "irreparable loss to the company".

"We are willing to talk, but the (Air India) management and the ministry do not appear to be serious about the matter," pilots' union spokesman Captain Tauseef Mukadam told AFP, as he vowed the strike would go on.

The Indian government approved a restructuring plan last month to help turn around the fortunes of the beleaguered carrier, but warned that its performance would be strictly monitored.

The airline flies 400 flights daily, including 50 on international routes.

It has 1,500 pilots of whom 500 fly long-haul international routes.

Singh said the striking pilots were jeopardising the future of the nearly bankrupt airline, which has not made a profit in five years and depends on government funds to fly.

The Indian government pumped about 12 billion rupees ($230 million) into the airline in the financial year 2010-11. It has not paid salaries to its employees for the past four months, the Press Trust of India reported.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • US ambassador slashed and bloodied in Seoul attack
    US ambassador slashed and bloodied in Seoul attack

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was slashed on his face and arm in Seoul on Thursday by a blade-wielding assailant opposed to ongoing US-Korean military drills. The United States condemned the "act of violence" which left the ambassador bleeding profusely as he was rushed to hospital, and said that President Barack Obama had spoken with him. Witnesses described how a man with a blade concealed in his right hand had lunged across a table at Lippert at a breakfast function at …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options