Air India pilots extend strike, flights cancelled

The number of pilots involved in a wildcat strike at India's national carrier Air India rose to 150 on Wednesday, as the walkout forced the cancellation of more international flights.

Some 100 pilots walked out on the first day of the strike at the debt-laden airline Tuesday and by day two the number had increased.

"About 150 pilots representing the Indian Pilots' Guild have reported sick," K. Swaminathan, a spokesman for Air India, told AFP.

Air India said that four international flights, including two to New York, were cancelled on Wednesday due to the industrial action, after several were axed the previous day.

The airline, which loses nearly $2 million a day, is facing mounting problems due to rising fuel prices, competition from low-cost rivals and a record of labour disputes.

Air India has sacked 20 of the striking pilots and Swaminathan said the airline fired them because "their actions were illegal." The airline has also stripped the pilots' union of recognition.

Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh also called the strike illegal and said the government was open to talks once staff returned to work.

"Discussion and disruption cannot take place at the same time. It is totally unjustified not showing up for work," Singh told an Indian TV news channel.

The pilots are protesting against former Indian Airlines pilots, who moved to Air India when the two firms merged in 2007, also being trained for new Boeing 787 Dreamliner airplanes, saying the plan would threaten their career prospects.

The pilots ruled out halting their protest even as the Delhi High Court ordered them to stop their "illegal strike," saying the industrial action could cause "irreparable loss to the company".

"We are willing to talk, but the (Air India) management and the ministry do not appear to be serious about the matter," pilots' union spokesman Captain Tauseef Mukadam told AFP, as he vowed the strike would go on.

The Indian government approved a restructuring plan last month to help turn around the fortunes of the beleaguered carrier, but warned that its performance would be strictly monitored.

The airline flies 400 flights daily, including 50 on international routes.

It has 1,500 pilots of whom 500 fly long-haul international routes.

Singh said the striking pilots were jeopardising the future of the nearly bankrupt airline, which has not made a profit in five years and depends on government funds to fly.

The Indian government pumped about 12 billion rupees ($230 million) into the airline in the financial year 2010-11. It has not paid salaries to its employees for the past four months, the Press Trust of India reported.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • OIC asked to complete review of peace pact with MNLF
    OIC asked to complete review of peace pact with MNLF

    The Philippine government is asking the 57-nation Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) to finally complete the tripartite review process of the implementation of the 1996 peace agreement with the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF). The review – snagged  for several years as government had its hands full with the peace process with rival faction Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) – tackles how the 1996 peace pact with the MNLF has been implemented and centers on the three remaining …

  • Alleged Binay dummies appear in Senate probe
    Alleged Binay dummies appear in Senate probe

    Eight of the resource persons ordered arrested by the Senate finally attended the 21st public hearing of the Senate Blue Ribbon subcommittee into the alleged anomalies involving Vice President Jejomar Binay, but the proceedings turned out to be a review of matters previously presented. For over three hours, the subcommittee heard presentations regarding the alleged hidden assets of Binay and the issue regarding the supposed P200 million in kickbacks he received from a deal between the Boy …

  • DOJ wraps up Mamasapano probe
    DOJ wraps up Mamasapano probe

    The Department of Justice (DOJ) is wrapping up its investigation into the “massacre” of 44 members of the Philippine National Police Special Action Force (PNP-SAF) in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A joint team of prosecutors and NBI (National Bureau of Investigation) investigators is about to finish the second part,” Justice Secretary Leila de Lima has told congressmen. She was responding to questions raised by former senior police officer and now Rep. Samuel Pagdilao of party-list …

  • APEC meet in Bataan seen to boost tourism
    APEC meet in Bataan seen to boost tourism

    BALANGA CITY, Bataan – More than 2,000 delegates of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) and international media outfits are expected to enjoy the splendid coastline of Bagac town, which faces the West Philippine Sea, as they converge for a workshop in this province next month. …

  • DOST opens P54-M research facility
    DOST opens P54-M research facility

    A P54-million research and development facility of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) was recently opened in Bicutan, Taguig for scientists and researchers to develop technology and techniques to allow Filipino fashion and clothing designers and manufacturers to produce more mainstream products from local, tropical fabrics like piña, banana and abaca. Science Secretary Mario Montejo said the Innovation Center for Yarns and Textiles (ICYT) is the DOST’s flagship effort at reviving …

  • DFA worried about alleged violations of convicted Pinoys’ rights
    DFA worried about alleged violations of convicted Pinoys’ rights

    Philippine embassy officials in Doha have raised their concern with Qatari authorities over coercion and human rights violations in the alleged forcing of three Filipino workers convicted of spying to provide information and confess to the crime. Speaking to reporters, Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) spokesman Charles Jose yesterday said the embassy has raised the matter during several high-level meetings with Qatari officials and the national human rights committee in Qatar. “Our embassy …

  • US affirms ‘ironclad’ promise to defend Phl
    US affirms ‘ironclad’ promise to defend Phl

    US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter told his Philippine counterpart on Wednesday that Washington’s pledge to defend the Pacific nation remains “ironclad” and called for an end to land reclamation in the South China Sea, officials said. In talks in Hawaii with Voltaire Gazmin, Philippine secretary of national defense, the Pentagon chief “reaffirmed” the strong ties between the two countries and discussed territorial disputes in the contested waters of the South China Sea, where Beijing has been …

  • ‘Conflict to affect economic growth, stability in SEA’
    ‘Conflict to affect economic growth, stability in SEA’

    Conflict in the South China Sea can affect economic growth and stability in Southeast Asia, New Zealand warned yesterday, amid China’s aggressive reclamation activities in disputed waters. New Zealand is marking its 40 th year of diplomatic ties with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, and hopes to intensify trade and other linkages with the 10-member grouping. ASEAN members Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam have overlapping territorial claims with China over the Spratly …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options