THE ALCOY Municipal Government urged its constituents to have themselves checked by the Rural Health Unit (RHU) if they experience symptoms of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).
This, after 10 confirmed Covid-19 deaths were recorded between July 2021 to August 2021.
Mayor Michael Angelo Sestoso told SunStar Cebu that he considered this death toll "alarming" since they have a small population in town.
"Para namo 12 total deaths naman mi ron, alarming na namo kay gamay man gud mi. Last year gud, duha raman among patay," Sestoso said.
(For us, we have recorded 12 total deaths, and this is alarming for us because of our small population. Last year, we only recorded two deaths.)
Sestoso said that most of the deceased Covid-19-positive patients were comorbid senior citizens aged 70 above and died in the hospitals. Some of them went to the hospital when they could hardly breathe, he added.
READ: Parts of Oslob with Covid cases placed on lockdown
"Ang uban gi-refer ang uban suspected lang, wala gani sila nipahibalo nga gihilantan na sila og dugay nya usa pa sila moadto nga wala nay mahimo na nuon ba. Naay uban mahadlok i-swab kay mahadlok i-isolate," Sestoso said.
(Others were referred because of suspected symptoms. They did not even report that they were experiencing fever until it was too late. Others are afraid of taking swab tests for fear that they will be isolated.)
Sestoso said they have been coordinating with religious organizations to help them convince the constituents to report if they experience symptoms of Covid-19. Through this, severe cases of infected individuals can be prevented, he said.
"Nagpatabang pud mi sa among simbahan nga pahibalo nga kung naa moy pamation tawn pahibalo mo sa RHU para ma-adress namug sayo-sayo nga naa pata'y mahimo dili kay naglisud namog ginhawa unsa pay mahimo nato," Sestoso said.
(We also sought the help of our church to inform our constituents to report to the RHU if they are experiencing Covid-like symptoms so that we can help address them sooner rather than later when it will be too late to do anything.)
He also said that the Department of Education (DepEd) Cebu Province has allowed them to use the classrooms as isolation facilities only for Covid-probable individuals.
He said he will submit a letter again to DepEd asking permission to use the classrooms as isolation for Covid-positive patients in town.
Alcoy has a 20-bed capacity in all isolation centers, including those in the barangays.
Sostoso said that he already lifted the granular lockdown to 14 households last week and only two households remained. He assured that these houses were properly assessed by RHU and were qualified for home quarantine.
Sestoso also asked the public to understand the restrictions he made in Alcoy beaches but assured he will open the beaches when Covid-19 cases continue to decrease in town. Sestoso had issued an executive order, prohibiting swimming on all beaches within the territorial jurisdiction of Alcoy.
As of August 23, Alcoy logged a total of 27 active cases, 12 total deaths and 120 total recoveries, bringing a total of 159 total confirmed Covid-19 cases.
Sestoso said around 1,200 individuals in town are fully vaccinated out of 12,000 target population. (MVE)