Alleged Australia killer on the run wins film role

A man wanted over a beheading murder who was eventually captured in the Australian Outback auditioned to be a film extra while on the run -- winning the role of a policeman in a homicide thriller.

Jonathon Stenberg, 46, sparked a major manhunt in late June after fleeing his home in northern New South Wales following the decapitation of his neighbour, who was reportedly left with a hat where his head should have been.

During the six days he spent evading authorities, Stenberg turned up in the remote Queensland town of Winton, where a casting call was underway late last month for extras for a murder film called "Mystery Road".

"I've held a number of casting auditions, but for a guy who is Australia's most wanted to come through your door is most unusual," said Mark Ingram, second assistant director on the film starring Hugo Weaving.

Stenberg was the first person to audition in the town, telling Ingram he saw the casting poster in a petrol station and wanted to make some extra cash.

"He came across as a really nice guy, a really nice guy. He even went and got me a cup of coffee. We were going to use him," Ingram told AFP.

"He came across as one of those kind of guys who you can trust. Ironically, we were going to cast him as a police officer."

But Stenberg, who used his real name and described his address as "back of truck" on his audition application, could not wait around for the film team's call telling him he had secured the bit part.

Ingram said he tried getting in touch on his mobile phone two days later but it went unanswered.

Stenberg later emailed him to say "it was nice to meet up but I've headed up to the Northern Territory because I've got a chance of a job", he said.

It was not until he saw news reports about Stenberg, reportedly a builder and security guard, being captured in a major manhunt north of Darwin that Ingram realised who he had been dealing with.

"He wasn't hiding (when he was in Winton)," said Ingram, who provided photographs to the Australian media showing Stenberg at the audition. "He gave me his name and number."

Stenberg was arrested on June 27 in the Outback north of Darwin after his abandoned car was found near the Northern Territory capital.

Stenberg, a former army corporal, was sent on Wednesday to Sydney from the Northern Territory where he will face charges of killing Edward "Ned" Kelly on or before June 21.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Phl aviation has met int’l safety standards – CAAP
    Phl aviation has met int’l safety standards – CAAP

    The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) said that the country’s aviation has met international safety standards and is currently being reviewed by the European Union. Members of the EU delegation recently made a courtesy call on CAAP Director General William Hotchkiss III. Beda Badiola, CAAP’s Flight Standards and Inspectorate Service chief, said all air carriers in the country have followed regulations that the agency was able to oversee properly according to standards. “They …

  • Absence of full-time PNP chief affecting police services
    Absence of full-time PNP chief affecting police services

    Despite the pronouncement of the leadership of the Philippine National Police that it’s business as usual, some basic services are undeniably affected by the absence of a full-time PNP chief, particularly the issuance of gun permits. The PNP had deferred the issuance of permits to carry firearms outside residence (PTCFOR) since Dec. 3, a day before the Office of the Ombudsman slapped a six-month suspension on former PNP chief Director General Alan Purisima, who is facing plunder charges. …

  • Expanded Phl-US war games start today
    Expanded Phl-US war games start today

    The Philippines and the United States will kick off today this year’s Balikatan military exercises amid concerns over China’s reclamation activities in disputed areas in the West Philippine Sea. More than 11,000 Filipino and American troops will join the drills to be held simultaneously in different locations until April 30. …

  • Budol-budol, dugo-dugo scams now online
    Budol-budol, dugo-dugo scams now online

    Authorities warned the public yesterday to be more careful in dealing with people they meet online as the “budol-budol” and “dugo-dugo” gangs have expanded their deceptive operations on social media. Senior Inspector Robert Reyes, assistant chief of the Philippine National Police’s Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG) investigation section, said online financial fraud is one of the emerging forms of scams in the country. Reyes said scam operators are looking for prospective victims online through …

  • Noy wants next PNP chief to serve beyond his term
    Noy wants next PNP chief to serve beyond his term

    President Aquino is inclined to name a new Philippine National Police (PNP) chief who can serve beyond the 2016 elections. Speaking to reporters at the Tarlac National High School before the weekend, Aquino said he was bewildered by the amended PNP Act that requires all deputies of the PNP chief to serve or stay at least one year in his post. Among the contenders for PNP chief are Deputy Director General Marcelo Garbo Jr., suspended Chief Superintendent Raul Petrasanta and Director Juanito …

  • ‘Stronger global action sought on China moves’
    ‘Stronger global action sought on China moves’

    Stronger international action is needed to counter China’s rapid reclamation activities in the West Philippine Sea, Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. said yesterday. Belmonte noted that statements of condemnation from global powers on the continued encroachment of China in the disputed waters have been ineffectual. He added that China’s blatant expansion activities are making the problem not just a regional security problem, but a global one. “China is obviously violating our territory in front …

  • MILF refusal to surrender fighters jeopardizing talks
    MILF refusal to surrender fighters jeopardizing talks

    Leaders of the House of Representatives renewed their call yesterday to the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) to surrender its fighters allegedly involved in the killing of 44 police commandos in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. Leyte Rep. Ferdinand Martin Romualdez, leader of the House independent bloc, said the continued refusal of MILF leaders to turn over their men is causing the further erosion of support for the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) in Congress. “I hope the MILF …

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options