Aloguinsan killing suspect nabbed

“PASAYLOA ko tiya, walay kapatawaran ning akong nabuhat, tungod gyud ni sa sugal (Forgive me aunt, what I did was unforgivable, it is because of gambling),” said Harvey James Nengasca, the suspect in the killing of his aunt on Sunday afternoon, June 26, 2022, in Aloguinsan town, midwest of Cebu.

The 23-year-old Nengasca was arrested during a hot pursuit operation by the Cebu Police Provincial Office (CPPO) Wednesday noon, June 29, 2022, in Barangay Lagtang, Talisay City.

Lieutenant Colonel Mark Gifter Sucalit, deputy provincial director for operation of the CPPO, said joint operatives from Talisay City Police Station and Aloguinsan Police Station immediately responded after receiving reports from a concerned citizen about the presence of a man with a gun tucked in his waist in their barangay.

The description on the man matched with that of the suspect in the killing of Arsenia Nengasca Alidani and the wounding of another, Belen Nengasca Biton, in San Juan Purok 3, Barangay Bonbon, Aloguinsan.

Biton, also an aunt of the suspect, is still recuperating in the hospital after sustaining hack and stab wounds.

“Una sir nakareceive ta'g alarma nga naay pusil ang usa ka tawo sa Talisay. Mi-fit na sa description pud sa atoang suspect sa pagpatay katong biktima sa Aloguinsan. Diha-diha niana sir, nagkasa ta’g team sir Talisay ug ngari sa headquarters para pagresponde. Immediately sir indeed nakuhaan gyud nato og armas,” Sucalit said.

(We first received an alarm that the man was having a gun in Talisay. His description matched with that of the suspect in the killing of the victim in Aloguinsan. Teams from Talisay and CPPO headquarters immediately responded and indeed, he was armed with a gun, which we seized).

Sucalit said that Nengasca, after committing the crime, fled to San Fernando town and then transferred to Lagtang in Talisay City on Tuesday, June 28.

News about Nengasca and his photos spread through social media after the incident, catching the attention of the public.

Sucalit, though, admired the suspect for not putting up a fight during his arrest despite being armed with a handgun.

The suspect narrated to the police that he went to his aunt in her store to borrow money from her after losing P5,000 in cockfight.

He said he did not tell his aunt that he lost in the cockfight because he knew that she would reprimand him.

But despite this, his aunt refused to lend him money, prompting him to stab her with a pair of scissors several times due to his anger.

“Nadala ko sa barkada, nadala ko sa tari, sabong napilde ko, nihangyo ko nga mouli ko aron manghuwam ko ni tiya. Wala ko mosulti nga napilde ko. Mo huwam unta kog 5 mil (I was influenced by my friend to the cockfight, I lost, I told him that I would go home to borrow money from my aunt. I did not tell her that I lost. I was supposed to borrow P5,000 from her),” Nengasca said.

The police considered the case solved after the suspect's arrest.

“Kaluoy sa Ginoo sir, nahatagan gyud nato og hustisya ang biktima sama sa akung gisulti gahapon, kaluy-an gyud ta sa Ginoo (By God's grace, we gave justice to the victim like what I said yesterday God is merciful),” Sucalit said.

Murder and frustrated murder charges and illegal possession of firearm are now being readied by the police against the suspect. (AYB, BBT, TPT)