Ancelotti rules out more PSG signings

Paris Saint-German coach Carlo Ancelotti has ruled out any further signings during the January transfer window, saying that the arrival of Brazilian starlet Lucas Moura would suffice.

The Italian has taken his expensively assembled squad out to Doha during Ligue 1's short winter break to take advantage of the superb sporting facilities and favourable weather conditions at this time of year in the Gulf.

With them for the first time is 20-year-old Lucas, following the completion of his transfer from Sao Paulo, and much is expected of him as PSG chase what would be just their third French league title and first since 1996.

They currently lead Ligue 1 on goal difference from the two other biggest sides in France, Lyon and Marseille, and there is much anticipation over the forthcoming battle between the three for the title in 2013.

Ancelotti was full of praise for Lucas, describing him as "a great player".

"He will be the only player to arrive during the transfer window," said the former Chelsea manager.

"He is young and he represents the future of the club. He has so much talent and will fit in well with the other players as he can play in several different positions.

"My coaching team think that the team is very good and very competitive."

Lucas' arrival gives Ancelotti a surfeit of options in the attacking positions and he said the Brazil international would play "either on one flank, or behind a striker".

PSG's wealthy Qatari owners were hyper-active during the close-season break as the club became the biggest spenders in Europe, bringing in star striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, as well as Thiago Silva and Ezequiel Lavezzi.

Results so far have been positive, with PSG also coasting into the knockout stages of the Champions League as the top side in their group, while they start their French Cup campaign against fifth-tier Arras on January 6.

Ancelotti, who was brought in at PSG a year ago by the club's sporting director, close friend Leonardo, said that good progress had been made since his arrival.

PSG were in danger of falling off the pace in Ligue 1 after winning just once in five games in November and December, but they have since stormed to the summit following a run of four consecutive victories.

"It has all been very positive so far because for me it was a new club, new players, a new atmosphere and a new championship," he said.

"We have had some tough moments, but each time the team has reacted well especially after our (2-1) loss to Nice (on December 1).

"The players have shown a good attitude and have been more consistent, both on and off the field.

""We are the favourites to win the championship but that is understandable. We have a team with a lot of talented players.

"We will have to work hard to win the title, but it will not be easy. Lyon and Marseille have started well and it will remain very competitive -- a real battle.

"In the Champions League, we have a big game coming up against Valencia, but we can make it into the quarter-finals."

Ancelotti also ruled out any move to sign David Beckham following the former England midfielder's departure from Major League Soccer in the United States.

"I know that he is leaving the Los Angeles Galaxy, but we are not interested," he said.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

  • Project NOAH exec receives recognition
    Project NOAH exec receives recognition

    Project NOAH executive director and University of the Philippines professor Mahar Lagmay recently received recognition from the European Geosciences Union (EGU) for his work in disaster risk reduction and mitigation in the Philippines. …

  • Nightclub ban for US troops
    Nightclub ban for US troops

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said yesterday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipino he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow the 10-day annual military exercises, according to Capt. Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow
    US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening  defense alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China’s increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Palace defends legal tack in sea row
    Palace defends legal tack in sea row

    There is nothing weak about taking the legal and diplomatic approach to push for the country’s claims in the disputed West Philippine Sea, Malacañang maintained yesterday. On Friday, Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares led a rally in front of the Chinese consulate in Makati City to protest China’s massive reclamation activities in the Spratly island group to fortify its presence in the disputed waters. Colmenares also criticized the Philippine government for supposedly not doing enough to defend …

  • Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death
    Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death

    The sons of Mary Jane Veloso, who is facing execution in Indonesia for drug smuggling, yesterday appealed to government officials to do everything to spare their mother from death. “We love you,” Mark Daniel, 12, said when asked for a message for his mother following a press conference at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City. Mark Daniel, an incoming Grade 8 student, reiterated his appeal to those in power to help save his mother from death. His younger brother, …

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options