Anderson Cooper reports on govt's failure in Tacloban

[caption id="attachment_44486" align="alignright" width="640"]Anderson Cooper, Tacloban, Manila Bulletin CNN's popular journalist Anderson Cooper is in Tacloban to personally see and report on the destruction wrought by super typhoon Yolanda and the government's shortcomings in providing relief and rescue.[/caption]Top foreign journalists led by CNN's Anderson Cooper who flew to Tacloban City to report on the devastation wrought by typhoon Yolanda criticized the government for moving too slowly to bring aid to victims.

In his Twitter account, Cooper said: “"It looks like the end of the world, for many here it was...The people in Tacloban have great dignity and deserve better than what they have gotten".

"The search and rescue never materialized.. There is no real evidence of organized recovery or relief," Cooper said in another tweet.

ac360tweets

Cooper also tweeted saying it's not clear who is in charge and that he has not seen a large Philippine military presence nor food and heavy machineries to turn things around.

He said: ""They are saying 'I need food and water, why are there still bodies?'"

In his on-air comments, Cooper described the situation in the battered city as “miserable,” observing that the government had not even set up a feeding center five days after the storm struck.

The veteran CNN journalist also noted in one of his tweets that "Haiyan's youngest victims are also some of the most vulnerable."

Cooper contrasted the slow action in Tacloban to the swift response of the Japanese government during the tsunami in 2011.

"When I was in Japan, right after the tsunami there two years ago, within a day or two, you had Japanese defense forces going out, carving up cities into grids and going out on foot looking for people, walking through the wreckage. We have not seen that here in any kind of large-scale operation," Cooper said.

Cooper's tell-it-as-it-is reporting came a day after President Benigno Aquino did an interview with CNN's Christiane Amanpour where he said the death toll should be around 2,500 and not 10,000 as earlier quoted. As of Wednesday evening, latest data released by the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) showed the validated number of fatalities from the monster storm has reached 2,344 already with 3,804 injured and 79 missing. Observers believe the number of deaths will soon exceed the conservative estimate Aquino gave to Amanpour.

CNN's critical assessment of the government relief efforts dovetailed with observations by local journalists at the scene.

ABS-CBN's Ted Failon, in his nightly news program TV Patrol, pointed out that most roads in Tacloban City were still littered with bodies and debris, two nights after President Aquino went on the air to report that major roads have had been cleared.

The French news agency AFP reported that thousands of Tacloban residents remained outside the destroyed airport hoping to fly out of the city.

ABS-CBN's radio and TV news anchor, Korina Sanchez, meanwhile made a remark in her program that Cooper doesn't know what he is talking about.This triggered an avalanche of angry comments directed to Sanchez, with many questioning her credibility for being the wife of Interior Sec. Mar Roxas who was among the officials supposedly on top of the situation in the typhoon-ravaged provinces. Those who commented also pointed to the fact that Sanchez was reporting inside the comforts of the TV network, while Cooper has flown all the way to Tacloban to be on the ground and see with his own eyes the extent of the horror left by Yolanda.

korinatweets

As for Cooper, one of his well thought-out tweets hit the nail in the head: "This story gets sadder by the hour...", an observation confirmed by a later tweet: There are mothers searching for their children, it is a sickening sight five days later".

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

  • Project NOAH exec receives recognition
    Project NOAH exec receives recognition

    Project NOAH executive director and University of the Philippines professor Mahar Lagmay recently received recognition from the European Geosciences Union (EGU) for his work in disaster risk reduction and mitigation in the Philippines. …

  • Nightclub ban for US troops
    Nightclub ban for US troops

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said yesterday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipino he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow the 10-day annual military exercises, according to Capt. Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow
    US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening  defense alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China’s increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Palace defends legal tack in sea row
    Palace defends legal tack in sea row

    There is nothing weak about taking the legal and diplomatic approach to push for the country’s claims in the disputed West Philippine Sea, Malacañang maintained yesterday. On Friday, Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares led a rally in front of the Chinese consulate in Makati City to protest China’s massive reclamation activities in the Spratly island group to fortify its presence in the disputed waters. Colmenares also criticized the Philippine government for supposedly not doing enough to defend …

  • Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death
    Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death

    The sons of Mary Jane Veloso, who is facing execution in Indonesia for drug smuggling, yesterday appealed to government officials to do everything to spare their mother from death. “We love you,” Mark Daniel, 12, said when asked for a message for his mother following a press conference at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City. Mark Daniel, an incoming Grade 8 student, reiterated his appeal to those in power to help save his mother from death. His younger brother, …

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options