Angkas returns to Cebu

·1 min read

DRIVERS of the motorcycle taxi-hailing service Angkas started operating again in the cities of Cebu, Mandaue and Talisay on Tuesday, April 6, 2021.

However, due to new normal protocols, passengers are advised to bring their own full-face helmet that is approved by the Department of Trade and Industry, wear a mask and are asked to refrain from having any physical contact with the rider as a protection against coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).

“We have been authorized by the Motorcycle Taxi Technical Working Group after complying with the IATF (Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases) guidelines on how to safely operate while on pandemic,” Angkas head of operations David Medrana told SunStar Cebu.

Medrana said they are processing a thousand riders in Cebu.

He said they also required their riders in Cebu to take a Real-Time Reverse Transcription Chain Reaction test as proof that they don’t have Covid-19.

Habal-habal, or motorcycle taxis, have been picking up passengers since restrictions were eased towards the end of last year. But with Angkas back, passengers can once again book a ride.

Fares will have to be paid through e-cash, credit or debit since passengers are not allowed to have physical contact with drivers.

Some of the Angkas motorcycles are equipped with barriers at the back so the passenger and the driver can avoid touching.

The operation of Angkas was stopped when the country was placed under enhanced community quarantine at the end of March last year. (PAC, JOB / PJB)