Ban scolds world powers on Syria as fighting rages

UN chief Ban Ki-moon told world powers on Friday they must overcome their rivalries to put an end to the "proxy war" in Syria, as deadly fighting raged in Damascus and the country's second city Aleppo.

Ban spoke ahead of a UN General Assembly vote that overwhelmingly condemned the Security Council for its failure to act and condemned President Bashar al-Assad's use of "heavy weapons" in the nearly 17-month civil war.

Shells rained down on rebel positions in Aleppo as fighting was reported in Syria's commercial capital and in Damascus, with the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reporting at least 70 people killed across the country.

At the same time, new weekly anti-regime protests were held across Syria in solidarity with the eastern province of Deir Ezzor, which troops have pounded for weeks.

The day's slogan was "Deir Ezzor -- victory comes from the east," and the Observatory reported claims that 70 percent of the strategic oil-producing province which borders Iraq is now in rebel hands.

In Aleppo, hundreds gathered in Al-Shaar neighbourhood chanting: "The people want the execution of Bashar!" and "The people want freedom and peace," an AFP reporter at the scene said.

As jet fighters and helicopter gunships swooped over Aleppo, the Observatory reported demonstrations in several neighbourhoods and fierce clashes in the rebel-held Salaheddin district.

A Syrian security source said troops were "testing the terrorists' defence systems... before annihilating them by carrying out a surgical operation."

In Moscow, the Russian foreign ministry expressed serious concern over rebel attempts to gain control of Aleppo and condemned foreign nations for providing the opposition with military supplies.

"Moscow is very worried by the dangerous development in the situation, the violence and provocations aimed at expanding the scope and the cruelty in the civil war," the ministry said.

The Observatory also reported protests in the Kurdish region of Hasakeh, Daraa province in the south and in the northwestern province of Idlib, where one demonstrator was shot dead.

Also in Idlib, five rebels were killed in an army ambush, the Observatory said, while the official SANA news agency said regime forces killed 17 "terrorists" in Aleppo.

There was also fighting in Damascus, where six civilians were killed as loyalist forces moved on rebels a day after shelling killed 21 civilians at the Palestinian refugee camp of Yarmouk, the Observatory said.

It also reported shelling of the Jdaidet Artuz district southwest of Damascus as fighting erupted around Marj al-Sultan military airport.

At the General Assembly, Ban evoked the UN's failure in the Srebenica massacre in Bosnia and warned the divided Security Council that "the immediate interests of the Syrian people must be paramount over any larger rivalries of influence."

The secretary general said growing radicalisation and extremism had been predicted at the start of the conflict in March 2011.

"The next step was also forewarned: a proxy war, with regional and international players arming one side or the other. All of these dire predictions have come to pass," Ban told the General Assembly.

He turned his fire on the Security Council, which he said had become "paralysed" by divisions over Syria. "Now, with the situation having worsened, they must again find common ground," Ban said.

After his address, the General Assembly overwhelmingly passed a Saudi-drafted resolution criticising the Security Council's failure to act and condemning Assad's use of heavy weapons.

The resolution said members deplored "the Security Council failure to agree on measures" to make the Syrian government carry out UN demands to end almost 18 months of fighting.

The resolution, which condemned President Bashar al-Assad's use of "heavy weapons including indiscriminate shelling from tanks and helicopters," was passed by 133 votes with 12 countries against and 31 abstaining.

Russia and China, which have vetoed three Security Council resolutions on Syria, were among high profile opponents of the resolution.

Syria strongly opposed the resolution and its UN envoy, Bashar Jafaari, accused Saudi Arabia, Qatar and other Gulf states of arming rebel groups. The resolution itself would have "no impact whatsoever".

On a personal note, the ambassador said he and his family had been the target of death threats.

"There have been several threats of murder against me and various Syrian diplomats from sites that exist in Saudi Arabia and Qatar and the United States," he told the General Assembly.

While US envoy Susan Rice welcomed the vote, many countries expressed reservations. South Africa, which voted in favour, said the resolution should have been tougher on the Syrian opposition.

The head of the opposition Syrian National Council said the resolution showed that the Assad regime has lost legitimacy.

"This vote confirms that ... the international community does not believe in its legitimacy anymore," Abdel Basset Sayda told a news conference in Iraqi Kurdistan.

He also said Syrian rebels would not pull out of Aleppo. "The Free (Syrian) Army did not withdraw, and will not withdraw from Aleppo, and we are in contact with them to provide them with supplies," Sayda said.

Though the resolution is not legally binding, there was increased attention on the General Assembly action after the resignation on Thursday of UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan and the mounting battle for Aleppo.

Annan complained that a peace plan he negotiated never received the backing it deserved and voiced regret at the "increasing militarisation" of the conflict.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US missile cruiser docks at Subic
    US missile cruiser docks at Subic

    A US Navy missile cruiser has dropped anchor in Subic Bay as part of “routine port call,” amid rising tension in the West Philippine Sea stirred by China’s island building activities and other threatening moves by its forces. The arrival of the Ticonderoga-class missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG-67) at the Subic Bay Freeport in Olongapo City yesterday was “just a routine port visit for ship replenishment and routine maintenance of shipboard system,” said Philippine Navy Public Affairs Office …

  • Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño
    Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño

    The agriculture and power sectors, as well as the general public should brace for a prolonged El Niño phenomenon that could further reduce water supply for electricity and irrigation, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. Flaviana Hilario, acting deputy administrator for research and development of PAGASA, said the El Niño condition is expected to intensify from weak to moderate by August this year. Anthony Lucero, …

  • China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row
    China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row

    The US should help “cool down” the Philippines and realize that its meddling in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) dispute would only stir tensions, a Chinese newspaper reported. “Washington should know its meddling in the South China Sea has been destabilizing the region. The US has vowed not to take sides in the territorial dispute, which involves China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan. …

  • No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests
    No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests

    K to 12 is the fruit of years of comprehensive consultations involving different sectors in education,” Aquino said during the launching of the program at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City. Organized by the Department of Education (DepEd), the launch was attended by teachers, students and representatives from different stakeholders supportive of the K to 12 program. It was held two years after the signing of Republic Act 10533, or the Enhanced Basic Education …

  • MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t
    MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t

    The Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) maintained its bid for completion of the tripartite review of the implementation of the peace agreement with the Philippine government in 1996. The MNLF’s desire to put consensual closure to the tripartite effort was relayed by its leaders to Sayed El-Masry, the special envoy of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), during the annual foreign ministers conference in Kuwait last Thursday. The MNLF peace agreement with the government in Sept. 2, …

  • Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe
    Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe

    President Aquino is expected to raise the West Philippine Sea dispute during his meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Japan next week. However, there is no word yet if the Philippines will specifically ask Tokyo to join calls for China to stop its massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. Aquino will leave for Tokyo on June 2 for a state visit until June 5. …

  • CHED releases wrong data on tuition hike
    CHED releases wrong data on tuition hike

    The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) appears to have released erroneous data on the allowed tuition and other fee increases in Metro Manila for the incoming academic year. On the list of the 51 approved higher education institutions (HEI) allowed to impose hikes, CHED pegged the average increase in tuition at P32.34 per unit and the average increase in other fees at P34.79. However, a Philippine STAR re-computation showed that the actual average approved tuition increases in Metro Manila …

  • Leni Robredo may run for senator
    Leni Robredo may run for senator

    The widow of the late Interior Secretary Jesse Robredo admitted that running for higher office in 2016 had crossed her mind. Camarines Sur Third District Rep. Leni Robredo said she is focused on her re-election, but there is always the possibility that she would seek higher office. “There is always that possibility… because the filing (of certificate of candidacy) is in October yet,” Robredo said in an interview after her speech during the 23rd Girl Scouts of the Philippines Council …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options