Anti-jaywalking Drive Nets 1,544 Violators

MANILA, Philippines --- The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA)'s anti- jaywalking drive has netted more than 1,500 violators in just one week of implementation.

MMDA Chairman Francis Tolentino said 1,544 individuals were apprehended in the week after the formal launch of the renewed anti-jaywalking crackdown in the metropolis as part of its campaign to promote road safety.

"Figures only showed the need to further intensify the campaign along with an information drive to educate the public on the need to use pedestrian lanes and footbridges in crossing streets and roadways," said Tolentino.

He said the agency is coordinating with the local government units (LGU) to augment the 99-man Anti-Jaywalking Unit or the "Men in Red" deployed at various points in Metro Manila, including on Commonwealth Avenue, Ortigas Avenue, Balintawak, Pasay-Taft Rotonda and Litex-Novaliches where a lot of road accidents related to jaywalking have been recorded in the past few years.

"We are going to tie up with the LGUs to help us in the intensified campaign," especially on C-5 Road in Taguig and the University Belt in Manila where many jaywalking-related accidents also occur, he said.

The MMDA chairman said the urgency for educating the public was underscored by another hit-and-run incident early morning Monday at the north-bound lane of EDSA-White Plains.

Tolentino said the man who body was found in the middle of the road at 3:30 a.m. may have been hit while crossing the wide thoroughfare.

Figures from the agency's Metro Manila Accident Reporting and Analysis System (MMARAS) showed that 174 pedestrians were killed last year after being hit by speeding vehicles. A total of 5, 348 jaywalking-related accidents were recorded in 2011, compared to 4, 951 in 2010 when 167 pedestrians were killed.

The agency's records showed that 361 violators of the anti-jaywalking campaign were nabbed last Monday at the start of the crackdown and 356 the following day, 379 on June 7 until it reached the current figure.

They were fined P200 after the Metro Manila Council (MMC) approved an increase in the penalty late last month. However, those who cannot afford to pay the fine were given a 15-minute on-the-spot lecture on road safety and disaster preparedness by trained personnel of the agency

Exempted from paying the fine are senior citizens, persons with disabilities (PWD) and minors though Tolentino clarified they are still covered by the anti-jaywalking law.

Aside from the deployment of the "Men in Red", the agency also installed warning signs with the word "Jaywalker ako Pasaway to deter would-be-jaywalkers.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors
    No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

    Instead of filing an opposition, ombudsman prosecutors filed a manifestation yesterday expressing belief that there is no urgent need for Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to visit his son at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center. “Based on the clinical abstract issued by the Asian Hospital on patient (Cavite) Vice-governor (Jolo) Revilla, which was submitted by accused Revilla in support of his Urgent Motion, Vice-governor Revilla is in stable condition and has stable vital signs, as of March 1, …

  • Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano
    Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano

    Government troops captured Sunday a bomb and weapons factory of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) in Mamasapano, Maguindanao, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) announced yesterday. Col. Restituto Padilla, AFP spokesman, said the captured bomb and weapons factory is located inside an area controlled by radical Muslim cleric Ustadz Mohammad Ali Tambako at Barangay Dasikil in Mamasapano. …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say
    How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say

    CAIRO (AP) — Three British schoolgirls believed to have gone to Syria to become "jihadi" brides. Three young men charged in New York with plotting to join the Islamic State group and carry out attacks on American soil. A masked, knife-wielding militant from London who is the face of terror in videos showing Western hostages beheaded. …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Solar plane passes new test ahead of planned world tour
    Solar plane passes new test ahead of planned world tour

    A solar-powered plane made a third successful test flight in the United Arab Emirates on Monday ahead of a planned round-the-world tour to promote alternative energy. Organisers hope that Solar Impulse 2 may head off around the globe as early as Saturday but caution that the launch is dependent on the weather, even in the relatively cloudless Gulf. The hour-long test flight was the plane's third from the UAE capital Abu Dhabi's small Al-Bateen airport, but the first for Solar Impulse chairman …

  • Recruitment firm accused of worldwide scam
    Recruitment firm accused of worldwide scam

    Filipinos aspiring to work overseas should avoid dealing with a recruitment agency that has duped jobseekers worldwide, Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz said yesterday. The National Bureau of Investigation has padlocked Global Visas Inc., which is based in Cebu. Baldoz said the agency’s parent company, ICS Global Visas Inc. based in the United Kingdom, has reportedly collapsed and left thousands of applicants without jobs.  “Global Visas was in the limelight this week, following its reported …

  • Jordan, 2 other NBA owners join Forbes' billionaire list
    Jordan, 2 other NBA owners join Forbes' billionaire list

    Michael Jordan and two other NBA owners have reached new heights, making Forbes world list of billionaires. Forbes released its list on Monday and noted that Jordan's net worth is estimated at $1 billion, ... …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options