Anti-Poverty Programs Working – Malacanang

MANILA, Philippines - Malacañang on Tuesday hailed the drop in the number of Filipino families experiencing hunger in the country based on the latest Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey.

Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda expressed optimism that the hunger trend would further go down with the implementation of the administration's anti-poverty projects.

"It is through the programs on inclusive growth, education, public health and anti-corruption that inroads on reducing poverty and hunger are being achieved. We are confident these programs will have a lasting effect," Lacierda said.

Deputy Presidential Spokeswoman Abigail Valte said the latest numbers on hunger incidence tend to be "a little volatile" in the short-term.

"We're hoping that given a little more time, government interventions will be able to keep the numbers down," Valte said.

The hunger rate fell to 18.4 percent or equivalent to 3.8 million families based on the SWS survey conducted last May, compared to the 23.8 percent or estimated 4.8 million households recorded last March.

The nationwide survey, first published on BusinessWorld yesterday, used face-to-face interviews of 1,200 respondents last May 24-27.

The lower hunger rate was reportedly due to the improvements in both moderate and severe hunger, according to the pollster.

The survey question on overall hunger was, "Nitong nakaraang tatlong buwan, nangyari po ba kahit minsan na ang inyong pamilya ay nakaranas ng gutom at wala kayong makain? Oo o Hindi (In the last three months, did it happen even once that your family experienced hunger and not have anything to eat? Yes or No)."

SWS found that 18.4 percent of the respondents, equivalent to 3.8 million families, claimed they experienced nothing to eat at least once in the last three months.

This figure is 5.4 percentage points lower than the 23.8 percent, equivalent to 4.8 million households, recorded in March, 2012.

It also noted that the decline in overall hunger was due to improvements in the level of moderate and severe hunger among Filipino families.

By geographical area, overall hunger declined in the rest of Luzon from 28 percent (2.5 million families) to 14.3 percent (1.3 million families) and in Metro Manila from 24.3 percent (691,000 families) to 16 percent (454,000 families).

However, it increased in the Visayas from 10.3 percent (399,500 families) to 17.3 percent (670,000 families) and in Mindanao from 26.7 percent (1.3 million families) to 28.3 percent (1.4 million families).

Those who experienced hunger were further asked, "Nangyari po ba 'yan ng minsan lamang, mga ilang beses, madalas, o palagi? (Did it happen only, a few times, often, or always?)"

The survey noted that severe hunger among families, or those who experience it "often" or "always" in the last three months was lower by 1 percentage point from 5.8 percent (1.2 million families) to 4.8 percent (974,000 families).

Meanwhile, moderate hunger, or those who experienced hunger "only once" or "a few times" in the last three months, declined to 13.7 percent (2.8 million families) from 18 percent (3.7 million families) in March.

SWS pointed out that the latest hunger rates were consistent with the poverty and food poverty results it released last week.

Poverty and food poverty among Filipinos were at 51 percent (from 55 percent last March) and 39 percent (45 percent previously), respectively.

Hunger was at 26 percent among the self-rated poor, while 10.7 percent said they were not poor or were on the borderline.

In comparison, hunger was at 32.4 percent among the self-rated poor and 13.5 percent among the not poor/on the borderline in March. -with a report from Ellalyn B. De Vera

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Phl aviation has met int’l safety standards – CAAP
    Phl aviation has met int’l safety standards – CAAP

    The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) said that the country’s aviation has met international safety standards and is currently being reviewed by the European Union. Members of the EU delegation recently made a courtesy call on CAAP Director General William Hotchkiss III. Beda Badiola, CAAP’s Flight Standards and Inspectorate Service chief, said all air carriers in the country have followed regulations that the agency was able to oversee properly according to standards. “They …

  • Absence of full-time PNP chief affecting police services
    Absence of full-time PNP chief affecting police services

    Despite the pronouncement of the leadership of the Philippine National Police that it’s business as usual, some basic services are undeniably affected by the absence of a full-time PNP chief, particularly the issuance of gun permits. The PNP had deferred the issuance of permits to carry firearms outside residence (PTCFOR) since Dec. 3, a day before the Office of the Ombudsman slapped a six-month suspension on former PNP chief Director General Alan Purisima, who is facing plunder charges. …

  • Expanded Phl-US war games start today
    Expanded Phl-US war games start today

    The Philippines and the United States will kick off today this year’s Balikatan military exercises amid concerns over China’s reclamation activities in disputed areas in the West Philippine Sea. More than 11,000 Filipino and American troops will join the drills to be held simultaneously in different locations until April 30. …

  • Budol-budol, dugo-dugo scams now online
    Budol-budol, dugo-dugo scams now online

    Authorities warned the public yesterday to be more careful in dealing with people they meet online as the “budol-budol” and “dugo-dugo” gangs have expanded their deceptive operations on social media. Senior Inspector Robert Reyes, assistant chief of the Philippine National Police’s Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG) investigation section, said online financial fraud is one of the emerging forms of scams in the country. Reyes said scam operators are looking for prospective victims online through …

  • Noy wants next PNP chief to serve beyond his term
    Noy wants next PNP chief to serve beyond his term

    President Aquino is inclined to name a new Philippine National Police (PNP) chief who can serve beyond the 2016 elections. Speaking to reporters at the Tarlac National High School before the weekend, Aquino said he was bewildered by the amended PNP Act that requires all deputies of the PNP chief to serve or stay at least one year in his post. Among the contenders for PNP chief are Deputy Director General Marcelo Garbo Jr., suspended Chief Superintendent Raul Petrasanta and Director Juanito …

  • ‘Stronger global action sought on China moves’
    ‘Stronger global action sought on China moves’

    Stronger international action is needed to counter China’s rapid reclamation activities in the West Philippine Sea, Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. said yesterday. Belmonte noted that statements of condemnation from global powers on the continued encroachment of China in the disputed waters have been ineffectual. He added that China’s blatant expansion activities are making the problem not just a regional security problem, but a global one. “China is obviously violating our territory in front …

  • MILF refusal to surrender fighters jeopardizing talks
    MILF refusal to surrender fighters jeopardizing talks

    Leaders of the House of Representatives renewed their call yesterday to the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) to surrender its fighters allegedly involved in the killing of 44 police commandos in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. Leyte Rep. Ferdinand Martin Romualdez, leader of the House independent bloc, said the continued refusal of MILF leaders to turn over their men is causing the further erosion of support for the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) in Congress. “I hope the MILF …

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options