Apple profit falls for first time in nearly a decade

Apple reported that its quarterly profit dipped for the first time in nearly a decade as it squeezed less money from its champions in the competitive smartphone and tablet markets.

The maker of iPhones, iPads, iPods, and Macintosh computers stepped in to bolster its stock price by announcing a plan to more than double to $100 billion the amount it will spend to buy back its stock and pay out dividends.

Apple on Tuesday raised a coming stock dividend by 15 percent to $3.05 per common share.

While Apple coffers bulged with $144.7 billion, the company said most of that money is offshore and it will be shrewder to borrow cash to implement the stock buy-back plan.

"We will fund the capital return program from operations and borrowing," said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple's chief financial officer.

Apple shares jumped briefly on the news in after-hours trades but slid back down to $403.95, about two dollars below where it was at the close of the Nasdaq.

"They bought themselves some extra time," Silicon Valley analyst Rob Enderle said of Apple tapping into its cash reserves to pay off investors.

"They are basically selling off Apple's future to prop up Apple's stock price in the short term."

The move veers from the way late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs fiercely guarded cash reserves.

Apple shares jumped briefly on the news in after-hours trades but slid back down to $403.95, about two dollars less than at the close of the Nasdaq.

The California-based company posted a profit of $9.5 billion on revenue of $43.6 billion in the first three months of this year, compared to a profit of $11.6 billion on $39.2 billion in the same quarter in 2012.

It said its gross margin, or the amount of money it makes in profit from its devices, shrank to 37.5 percent from 47.5 percent.

The number of iPhones sold in the quarter rose to 37.4 million from 35.1 million during the same quarter last year.

The number of iPads sold surged to 19.5 million from 11.8 million a year earlier.

Meanwhile, sales of iPod MP3 players dropped by more than a million to 5.6 million and Macintosh computers sales slipped about two percent to just below four million, according to Oppenheimer.

The Apple board raised the overall stock repurchase target to $60 billion from $10 billion.

Apple chief executive Tim Cook said that the decline in Apple stock in recent quarters has been "very frustrating for all of us."

Shares in Apple are well below their 52-week peak above $700 in September as the tech giant faces tougher competition from South Korea's Samsung and others.

"Although we've achieved incredible results, we acknowledge our growth rate has slowed," Cook said during an earnings call with financial analysts.

"We will continue to focus on the long term and we remain very optimistic about our future."

Cook remained adamant that Apple was well-positioned in the booming smartphone and tablet markets.

"We have a lot more innovations in the works," Cook said, promising "some really great stuff coming in the Fall and across all of 2014."

"For the size company it is, Apple is plugging along very nicely," said Forrester analyst Frank Gillett.

"The question we are asking ourselves is whether they can bust out a new category. My hunch is there are a bunch of new things brewing."

Revenue in Greater China was up 11 percent to $8.8 billion, with iPad sales more than doubling despite Apple reporting that growth had slowed there.

China served as an example of an Apple strategy to win over smartphone buyers with affordable prices on iPhone and iPad models, letting margins shrink in order to build ranks of loyal customers.

"China has an unusually large number of potential first-time smartphone buyers and that is not lost on us," Cook said.

He cited data showing that Apple ranks impressively when it comes to customer loyalty and the willingness of users of its gadgets to spend money on digital songs, music and apps at the iTunes store.

"We do want to grow faster, but we don't look at it as the only measure of our health," Cook said.

The iTunes shop pulled in more than $4 billion in revenue in the first three months of the year, setting a new record, according to Oppenheimer.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options