Aquino backs US, Japan access to PHL bases

(Updated 3:46 p.m.) President Benigno Aquino III on Tuesday expressed support for the plan to give the United States and Japan access to Philippine bases.

Aquino said it is only a "natural circumstance" to allow these countries into Philippine bases "to build a credible alliance" with them.

"Kung hindi tayo makikipag-ugnayan sa kanila at mag-aayos ng mga sistema kung sakaling may gulo na is, palagay ko, maling paghahanda ‘yon, walang paghahanda ‘yon," the President said.

He added that the presence of "strategic partners" on Philippine soil is necessary to make them familiar with the country's geography, particularly its terrain, which is important for military operations.

"Hindi naman siguro pwedeng magpa-practice tayo outside of our territory. If you want a credible alliance, then you will have to have mutual training and that will normally occur within our territory or the allies’ territory," he said.

The President, however, said that US and Japanese troops will not be "permanent fixtures" in the country's bases.

Military bases, territorial row

The President made these statements amid an ongoing territorial dispute with China over parts of the South China Sea. The Philippines refers to parts of the South China Sea as West Philippines Sea.

Last week, news agency Reuters came out with a report on the Philippine military's supposed plan to open up the country's bases in Subic, Zambales to American troops.

Due to the supposed plan, China's state media warned of a "counterstrike" in the South China Sea. The Chinese newspaper People's Daily even called the US as a "patron" and Southeast Asian nations as its "accomplice."

On Sunday, Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario "expressed serious concern" over the "increasing militarization" of the South China Sea.

China has long asserted its historical claim over the entire South China Sea. Manila, however, claims that some parts of the disputed area rightfully belongs to the Philippines under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).

Diplomacy still priority

Aquino further maintained that his administration wants a diplomatic solution to the Philippines' diplomatic row with China.

He said that the Philippine Constitution "renounces" war and that the government will do everything

to avoid violence.

"Parati nating sinasabi na kailangan ng hinahon, kailangan ng matinong pag-uusap, para dumating tayo sa isang solusyon na katanggap-tanggap sa lahat ng panig," he said.

Last January, the Philippines brought its territorial dispute with China before a United Nations tribunal, asking Beijing “to desist from unlawful activities that violate the sovereign rights and jurisdiction of the Philippines under the 1982 UN Convention on the Law of the Sea.”

Although China has rejected Manila's move to seek international arbitration on the South China Sea dispute, its government has already agreed to hold formal talks with Southeast Asian nations to come up with a code of conduct governing the disputed area.

Constitutional provision

The 1987 Philippine Constitution states that "foreign military bases, troops, or facilities shall not be allowed in the Philippines except under a treaty duly concurred in by the Senate."

In 1991, the Philippine Senate voted to expel US military bases from the country by a historic 12-11 vote. Eight years later, the Senate ratified the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) between the US and the Philippines.

The VFA is a bilateral agreement which specifies how the Philippines and the US will determine jurisdiction over an American soldier involved in a crime committed in the Philippines.

Malacañang said over the weekend that the plan to give US and Japanese troops access to Philippine military bases will abide by the Constitution and the VFA. — KG/RSJ, GMA News

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors
    No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

    Instead of filing an opposition, ombudsman prosecutors filed a manifestation yesterday expressing belief that there is no urgent need for Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to visit his son at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center. “Based on the clinical abstract issued by the Asian Hospital on patient (Cavite) Vice-governor (Jolo) Revilla, which was submitted by accused Revilla in support of his Urgent Motion, Vice-governor Revilla is in stable condition and has stable vital signs, as of March 1, …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

  • How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say
    How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say

    CAIRO (AP) — Three British schoolgirls believed to have gone to Syria to become "jihadi" brides. Three young men charged in New York with plotting to join the Islamic State group and carry out attacks on American soil. A masked, knife-wielding militant from London who is the face of terror in videos showing Western hostages beheaded. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options