Aquino Needs New Car – Solons

FILE - In this Oct. 12, 2011 file photo, Philippine President Benigno Aquino III gestures as he answers questions …MANILA, Philippines - Congressmen who supported the impeachment of Chief Justice Renato Corona want the five-year-old presidential car replaced by purchasing a new vehicle, saying that the move would amply protect the Chief Executive amid reports of heightened global terrorism.

Acting through its stalwarts, the Movement 188, an organization of congressmen who signed the articles of impeachment, said funds should be earmarked to purchase a new bulletproof and bombproof state vehicle to replace the ''flood damaged one that has been sidelined'' by the Presidential Security Group.

The proposal was contained in House Resolution No. 2191 filed last week in the wake of claims by Malacañang of a fresh threat by alleged political foes of Aquino to oust him from office.

Leaders of Movement 188, among them Reps. Ben Evardone (LP, Eastern Samar); Cesar Sarmiento (LP, Catanduanes); Mel Senen Sarmiento (LP, Western Samar); Antonio del Rosario (LP, Capiz); Roger Mercado (LP, Southern Leyte) and Alfredo Benitez (NPC, Negros Occidental), cited the urgency for the government to acquire a new state car equipped with the latest security features, saying that this would allow the PSG to protect Aquino.

HR 2191 noted that ''the two 1998-model vehicles are already unreliable because of wear and tear, and the relatively newer one bought in 2007 has been beset with intermittent, computer-related engine failures ever since it was submerged in floodwaters during the onslaught of Typhoon Ondoy.''

CATS Motors Inc. which supplied the three vehicles and is currently in-charge of maintaining them, has ''advised the PSG (Presidential Security Group) against deploying'' the newest of the fleet, saying that ''it could malfunction anytime.''

In a memorandum, the PSG has revealed that it has stopped using the repair-prone 2007 limousine as primary or secondary backup vehicle for President Aquino, from the time it conked out on the road during a presidential trip to Baguio City last year.

Evardone disclosed that Aquino currently uses his own car to attend to his appointments.

In the resolution, Movement 188 recommended the re-alignment of funds from government savings for this ''long-needed acquisition of state car for the President.

''Be it resolved as it is hereby resolved, that Movement 188 urges the DBM to help beef up security measures for President Aquino in the face of heightening global terrorist attacks by setting aside funds from government savings for the acquisition of a bulletproof and bombproof presidential state car to replace the flood-damaged official vehicle that has been sidelined by the PSG for security reasons,'' said Movement 188.

It could recalled that IED bombs were used in last year's separate attacks on the convoy of local government secretary Jesse Robredo in Cotabato City and on the convoy of Maguindanao governor Esmael Mangundadatu in Tacurong City.

Nobody was hurt in the Robredo incident but local media reports bared that Maguindanao board member Russman Sinsuat Sr. and a passerby were killed when an EID packed in a parked Kia car exploded and hit the third car in Mangudatatu's convoy.

Local police suspected that Basit Usman, who is on the United States' list of most wanted terrorists with a $1 million price on his head, was behind Robredo's car bombing incident as he is known to be a maker of EID bombs.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Indonesia defiant as UN leads condemnation of looming executions
    Indonesia defiant as UN leads condemnation of looming executions

    Indonesia on Sunday signalled it was determined to push ahead with the execution of eight foreign drug convicts, despite a growing wave of global condemnation led by United Nations chief Ban Ki-moon. Authorities on Saturday gave formal notice to the eight -- from Australia, Brazil, Nigeria and the Philippines -- that they would be executed by firing squad imminently, along with an Indonesian prisoner. The group have been moved to the high-security prison island of Nusakambangan, where …

  • AFP monitoring deployment of Chinese seaplanes in Spratlys
    AFP monitoring deployment of Chinese seaplanes in Spratlys

    The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is adopting a wait and see approach amid reports that China will soon deploy seaplanes to further strengthen its maritime claims in the disputed Spratlys. Brig. Gen. Joselito Kakilala, spokesman for the military and commander of the AFP Civil Relations Service, said they have yet to ascertain the real purpose behind China’s continuing aggressive moves in the region. “We will wait and see before coming up with an official stand,” Kakilala said when …

  • US eyes access to Phl bases in 8 locations
    US eyes access to Phl bases in 8 locations

    The United States has asked for access to Philippine military bases in eight locations to rotate troops, aircraft and ships as Washington shifts its forces to Asia and as China expands its military presence in the South China Sea. US Defense Secretary Ash Carter, in a speech in Arizona, has outlined Washington’s next phase in its Asia “pivot,” deploying its most sophisticated destroyers, bombers and fighters to the region. The Asia “pivot” has already seen US Marines rotating through the …

  • Washington bucks China’s aggressive actions
    Washington bucks China’s aggressive actions

    Short of condemning China’s aggressive actions in the West Philippine Sea, a senior US military official said Washington does not support any act of coercion and bullying. “We don’t stand for coercion, bullying and aggressiveness,” said Brig. Gen. Christopher Mahoney, assistant US military director for  Phl-US Joint Balikatan Exercises 2015. At the sidelines of this year’s joint military exercises’ static aircraft display held at Clark Air Base in Pampanga, Mahoney told a media briefing that …

  • ‘Giving Bangsamoro police control is constitutional’
    ‘Giving Bangsamoro police control is constitutional’

    The proposed grant to the chief minister of the envisioned Bangsamoro region of operational control over police forces in the area is consistent with the Constitution, a senior administration lawmaker said yesterday. It is clear in the proposed BBL that the Bangsamoro police will be part of the Philippine National Police (PNP), while the Bangsamoro Regional Police Board (BRPB) will be part of the National Police Commission (Napolcom) and will carry out Napolcom’s mandate in the region,” he …

  • Noy off to KL for Asean meet
    Noy off to KL for Asean meet

    President Aquino will arrive here this afternoon with Manila hopeful of support from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to achieve peace and stability in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) as well as economic prosperity and inclusive growth among the people in the region. Philippine Ambassador to Malaysia Jose Eduardo Malaya III said that with respect to the dramatic developments in the South China Sea, Malaysian Foreign Minister Anifah Aman had called for the early …

  • Madrid Fusion Manila reignites Pinoy appetite for great food
    Madrid Fusion Manila reignites Pinoy appetite for great food

    After months of preparation and hard work from both the government and private sectors, the future of food is finally here in the country’s capital. Madrid Fusión Manila opened its doors on Friday to an international delegation who eagerly awaited the discussions of some of the most renowned and revered names in the culinary world. Madrid Fusión Manila is a historic gastronomic event marked by talks and exhibitions that showcases Spain and the Philippines’ shared cultural heritage, as well as …

  • Family receives execution order, visits Mary Jane
    Family receives execution order, visits Mary Jane

    As Philippine officials continue to plead for a stay in the execution of death convict Mary Jane Veloso, the Indonesian government has sent a notice to her family ordering her execution at an undisclosed date, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said yesterday. Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose said Indonesian authorities also allowed Veloso’s family and her lawyers to visit her on Nebu Kambangan execution island. “The Prosecutor gave notice letter to the family of Mary Jane …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options