Aquino told to stop attacking Arroyo in Sona

MANILA -- A Visayan prelate on Friday urged President Benigno Aquino III to stop attacking his predecessor, Pampanga Representative Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, in his second State of the Nation Address (Sona) on July 25.

Capiz Archbishop Onesimo Gordoncillo said the government should instead file cases in court if it is really committed in resolving alleged anomalies committed by the former President Arroyo.

After assuming office last year, President Aquino immediately launched tirades against Arroyo, whose administration was linked to various shady deals, including the provision of fat bonuses of officials in state-owned corporations.

"That is not the real meaning of Sona," Gordoncillo said in an article posted at the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) website.

What the country needs is the government's concrete steps in solving poverty and unemployment, according to the prelate.

"He should also report his achievements and how he is going to address hunger and the growing rate of unemployment," Gordoncillo said.

Malacañang, meanwhile, is not expecting Arroyo to attend the second Sona of President Aquino at the Batasan Pambansa in Quezon City on Monday.

"She didn't attend the first time. So there was precedent. Most likely, she will not attend the second time. So we were not surprised," presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said.

Maria Teresa Defensor, acting spokesperson of Arroyo, confirmed that the Pampanga congresswoman will again skip Aquino's Sona.

Arroyo's legal counsel Raul Lambino also advised her not to attend the Sona to avoid criticisms as Aquino is expected to mention Arroyo on his speech again.

In Aquino's Sona last year, Arroyo accompanied husband Jose Miguel Arroyo to Hong Kong for a medical check-up for the latter's aneurysm.

Her decision to skip the Sona also came following reports that Aquino will center his speech on alleged anomalies in the Arroyo administration.

Arroyo's intuition proved correct as Aquino disclosed several alleged irregularities during his predecessor's nine-year rule, including the alleged over-importation of rice that resulted in wastage and purported fat bonuses of officials in government-owned and -controlled corporations (GOCCs) and government financial institutions (GFIs).

Lacierda said delivering Sona is a President's constitutional mandate and Aquino will continue to address the people on Monday regardless of the presence of Arroyo.

"The President has been preparing for the Sona, with total indifference to whether Representative Arroyo is attending or not," he said.

Asked whether the Aquino's speech will once again center to the past administration, the Palace official said: "I don't want to preempt the President. Let us wait for his Sona."

He also refused to give even the slightest details about the President's speech.

The Aquino administration's alleged suppression of the workers' right to unionize the ecozones has been, meanwhile, the center of a militant protest at the Philippine Economic Zone Authority (Peza) in Pasay City.

"After one year of President Benigno Aquino III, there is no new program to generate jobs, no new guideline to increase workers wages and no change in the no-union policy in the ecozones," Partido ng Manggagawa (PM) secretary-general Judy Ann Miranda said.

To highlight its case, PM pointed out to Peza's supposed collusion in stifling workers efforts to unionize at the Mactan Economic Zone (MEZ) in Lapu-Lapu City.

A Japanese-owned company in MEZ, Blaze Manufacturing Corp., closed operations on the day that a certification election was held last June. The union won the elections for the first time in the history of that ecozone.

The PM chapter in Cebu already picketed the Peza office in Lapu-Lapu City last Monday.

Authorities have announced the suspension of classes in Quezon City on Monday for the second Sona of Aquino. (AH/Sunnex)

For more local stories, visit www.sunstar.com.ph

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options